Canon PowerShot SD870 IS

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Pros and Cons from personal experience? My girlfriend wants a camera, I went to dpreview.com and sorted out cameras I didnt like. (The buyers help thing they have there)

We are 99% sure of getting this, anything we should know about? Maybe a later model I didnt see?

Edit:
So, looking at the model numbers, SD890 vs SD770, the SD770 came out in march 2008 while the SD890 came out last year in August 2007 i believe. The lower number kind of means not as good doesn't it? But it came out more recently, is it better?

Edit2: What is the BEST "Canon PowerShot SD??? IS" camera out there?

Last edited:
The SD870 is one of the better wide angle compacts out there, with a wide angle focal length of 28mm (film equivalent).
Interestingly the SD870 is a relatively old model, but i'm following all the new entries, and i have not yet found a wide angle compact that comes close.

Other than that, the other models are all probably just as good, I've owned a Canon powershot SD400 for abou three years and have yet found a reason to replace it (excpt for the lack of wide angle lens).

One of the key strengthes of the PowerShot SD series is response time. Many competitors models look similar but when you examine response times you may fing that it takes them more than twice the time it takes the Canon to wake up and be ready to shoot.

Cheers, good luck with the camera!

I am not too knlowlegable on the SD iS cameras but I have an S5iS that I just love. It's everything I need now, I shoot alot of macro stuff, which it does a damn fine job of. It also leaves me the ability to expand when I'm ready with add on lenses from Canon.

amba mentioned response times.

I recently purchased a cheap Kodak (deal for $79) and my biggest complaint is the response time. In a quick P&S camera, a fast response time is a huge plus.

Hehe, there has to SOMETHING wrong with it for $75. :D

In their defense the Kodak Z1015 IS has the fastest response time of any P&S or bridge camera as of this date. :D

Most reactions

Back