Canon R6 overheating is killing me

PandaWithCamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there :smug:

I have recently upgraded from a Canon 650D (Rebel T4i) to the Canon R6 and I love it. A big reason for the upgrade was that I started doing more video work and was looking for a step up on that front. If the R6 didn't overheat in 4k 25fps (and maybe didn't have the 30min recording limit, but that's a side note), this would be my perfect camera. I've always shot Canon and really liked the results it gave me, as well as the intuitive menu system and the great handling but the overheating is really making me consider switching to different brand. I do music, so my workflow usually is setting up the shot at the start, pulling focus and then leaving the camera rolling until I get the take I need – sadly, that's not what the R6 had in mind... Before I could even start recording, the R6 was already so hot it only let me record for 15 minutes – it was pretty toasty in the small room, but that just shouldn't happen to a camera in that price range in my opinion. So, I spent the rest of the shoot doing loops of recording blocks of 5-10 minutes with 10 minutes of waiting in-between... As you can probably guess, I was pretty annoyed by the end of it... :BangHead:

So, for the last couple days I've been thinking and looking at my options. Getting the Tilta cooling fan system is not an option since I record audio and often use very sensitive mics that would definitely pick up any fan noise when the camera is somewhat closeby. What about an Atomos Ninja V? Would that solve the overheating in 4k 25fps? It would also circumvent the recording limit, which would be great.

The only other option I've seen by now would be to buy a different camera.
The Panasonic GH5 and GH5 II are popular picks for cameras with great video capabilities – good autofocus is also not a necessity for me, given my workflow. That said, I'm not that thrilled about it being micro four thirds. I'd love to stick with a fullframe camera, since I just love the amazing dynamic range and low-light capabilities. I also often shoot in smaller rooms which the fullframe also handles great since my 50mm stays a 50mm and doesn't get cropped in too much.

Do you have any recommendations for fullframe cameras that can shoot in 4k 25fps reliably and don't overheat?

Kind regards
Noah

Hi there :smug:

I have recently upgraded from a Canon 650D (Rebel T4i) to the Canon R6 and I love it. A big reason for the upgrade was that I started doing more video work and was looking for a step up on that front. If the R6 didn't overheat in 4k 25fps (and maybe didn't have the 30min recording limit, but that's a side note), this would be my perfect camera. I've always shot Canon and really liked the results it gave me, as well as the intuitive menu system and the great handling but the overheating is really making me consider switching to different brand. I do music, so my workflow usually is setting up the shot at the start, pulling focus and then leaving the camera rolling until I get the take I need – sadly, that's not what the R6 had in mind... Before I could even start recording, the R6 was already so hot it only let me record for 15 minutes – it was pretty toasty in the small room, but that just shouldn't happen to a camera in that price range in my opinion. So, I spent the rest of the shoot doing loops of recording blocks of 5-10 minutes with 10 minutes of waiting in-between... As you can probably guess, I was pretty annoyed by the end of it... :BangHead:

So, for the last couple days I've been thinking and looking at my options. Getting the Tilta cooling fan system is not an option since I record audio and often use very sensitive mics that would definitely pick up any fan noise when the camera is somewhat closeby. What about an Atomos Ninja V? Would that solve the overheating in 4k 25fps? It would also circumvent the recording limit, which would be great.

The only other option I've seen by now would be to buy a different camera.
The Panasonic GH5 and GH5 II are popular picks for cameras with great video capabilities – good autofocus is also not a necessity for me, given my workflow. That said, I'm not that thrilled about it being micro four thirds. I'd love to stick with a fullframe camera, since I just love the amazing dynamic range and low-light capabilities. I also often shoot in smaller rooms which the fullframe also handles great since my 50mm stays a 50mm and doesn't get cropped in too much.

Do you have any recommendations for fullframe cameras that can shoot in 4k 25fps reliably and don't overheat?

Kind regards
Noah
Aren't video cameras made for video?

Firmware 1.6.0? You should be getting about 40 minutes at 4k 30p.

This, check and then update the firmware. If it is still doing it, I would contact Canon, as there may be another issue.

I haven't seen any overheating issues since they updated the firmware and Jarod Polin (FroKnowPhoto) put them to the test. (He still uses the R5 for his recording and has no issues.)

Firmware 1.6.0? You should be getting about 40 minutes at 4k 30p.
Yes, I am on 1.6.0. One reason for the overheating could be that I had disabled "Standby: Low Res" not knowing it was a setting to help with the overheating. I just tested it in the room and got to 39 minutes before overheating – so that checks out. That said, I don't know what the recording time is going to be like in a hotter environment and after the camera has already been running for a bit while setting up the shot.
This, check and then update the firmware. If it is still doing it, I would contact Canon, as there may be another issue.

I haven't seen any overheating issues since they updated the firmware and Jarod Polin (FroKnowPhoto) put them to the test. (He still uses the R5 for his recording and has no issues.)
Interesting. Maybe that's different with the R5? I'd guess that the R5 does better with 4k/25 than the R6.

Does anyone have the R6 and uses it with the Atomos Ninja V? I'd really be curious if recording for approximately 1.5-2 hours in 4k/25 is possible without overheating.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back