Canon Rebel XS for a non-professional?

Alexandria P

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am considering getting the Canon Rebel XS for the purpose of photographing my artwork, which includes mainly oil paints, graphite, ink drawings, and charcoal. I want to use this camera to document and build my portfolio.

I would also use the camera for recreational purposes, and for the purpose of editing and creating digital art in Photoshop, but I do NOT plan on using this for artistic photographing, if that makes sense.

I am still a student, but I would like to keep a good record of the works I have created, and I am wondering whether this camera seems like a sensible tool for that purpose.

Thank you!

Yes. You can take very good shots with the XS. However, it will help you tremendously to have a good tripod with a grip ball head, so that you can frame the photo and be able to take it without worrying about blur caused by slow shutter speed. I take photos of my wife's art all the time at her request, and while having lights (stobe or otherwise) obviously helps, it is the tripod that makes the job much easier and gives the camera the proper support to get good results. If the size of your art is small, then you also have to think about the minimum focusing distance of whatever lens you are using.

I don't see why not.

For the record, you could probably do all of what you mention, with a cheaper type of camera. Shooting artwork (or anything really) is more about lighting than the specific camera that you use.

I don't see why not.

For the record, you could probably do all of what you mention, with a cheaper type of camera. Shooting artwork (or anything really) is more about lighting than the specific camera that you use.

So could a point and shoot work? Thanks!

Yes. You can take very good shots with the XS. However, it will help you tremendously to have a good tripod with a grip ball head, so that you can frame the photo and be able to take it without worrying about blur caused by slow shutter speed. I take photos of my wife's art all the time at her request, and while having lights (stobe or otherwise) obviously helps, it is the tripod that makes the job much easier and gives the camera the proper support to get good results. If the size of your art is small, then you also have to think about the minimum focusing distance of whatever lens you are using.

Okay, that is good to know. Thank you!

Most reactions

Back