Carl Ziess 24 1.8 a Bad A$$ lens

cosmonaut

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregmccary.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the Carl Ziess 24 1.8 and it's a bad a$$ lens on the NEX 7. I think this lens will see a lot of use. I think now that Sony has proved they are serious we will see more and more great lenses for the E mount cameras. This one is awesome just from a few test shots. Blinding fast AF and sharp pictures. SA weeeet. Save your pennies.

watch, Carl Ziess test shot by Cosmonaut's, on Flickr

Sweet, autofocusing Zeiss must be cool :)

That 24 1.8, and also the 135 1.8 look like really nice lenses!

There's a good write up and review on the new Zeiss Sonnar here at Luminous Landscape, where M.R. compares it shot on the Sony NEX-7 against the very expensive, legendary, $6,500 Leica Summilux 24mm f/1.4; the Zeiss acquits itself very well I would say; it's better than the Leica in some areas, and not quite as good in some, and overall turns in an excellent performance! M.R< also mentioned that it focuses very close, down to about 0.25x, so it functions well as what he calls a semi-macro (the wristwatch shot above ought to give some idea of that!!)

This new Zeiss does look like one sexy beast!!! It has that ULTRA-modern, minimalist "Sony style" design ethos in the exterior cosmetics.

Sony NEX-7 Rolling Review

A wide angle sonnar? that is interesting in itself - is there anything else shorter than 50mm in a sonnar design??

You want this lens, you need this lens. If you have a NEX get this lens, call or click today......

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01325.jpg

DSC01348.jpg

That is terrific just bokeh! Looks more like what to expect from a 50mm than a 24mm. I had a Sonnar in 135mm for my Contax, having a mid-wide Sonnar with close focus is just super cool.

Sony has really out done itself on this one.

That is terrific just bokeh! Looks more like what to expect from a 50mm than a 24mm. I had a Sonnar in 135mm for my Contax, having a mid-wide Sonnar with close focus is just super cool.

Sony has really out done itself on this one.

Yep, they sure do know how to contract out a legendary optics company :)

Seriously though, this lens has the classic Zeiss look... Nutso sharp, nice 3D rendering, smooth bokeh, good contrast, no distortion. Congratulations on it! 9 aperture blades?

It does appear to be kicking some A$$ in these photos...

What does that have to do with anything?

go play elsewhere Argie.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back