Cartel Concert

mcoppadge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Some shots I took at a Cartel concert. Comment and critique please, even if it concerns my watermark placement (I'm new at that).

[1]
3916192202_1773be09ff_o.jpg

[2]
3915406411_354e9ecaaf_o.jpg

[3]
3915405479_073367c225_o.jpg

[4]
3916181918_a5b08388f0_o.jpg

[5]
3915396975_4ab93e0ed8_o.jpg

[6]
3916179400_0927527a64_o.jpg

[7]
3916178240_9e090881f5_o.jpg

[8]
3915401603_dfb2662452_o.jpg

[9]
3916172658_c0639c1656_o.jpg

I love cartel!

the first one looks like CD cover material (except for the lack of lighting on the guitarist). The rest are just concert photos. Good ones, but there isn't that special something that makes them stand out to me.

Numbers 3 and 8 are my favorites; The way all three guys are positioned in shot 3 is what makes it work for me. Frame 8 of the drummer with his hair flying is the simplest, most close-in shot of all you show here, and is a pretty good on-stage action shot. Odd that both were shot under all-green lighting.

#2 is cool and #4 is good too. Last one I'd like to see the original. The harsh color's your using doesn't do the pictures justice.;)

Last one I'd like to see the original. The harsh color's your using doesn't do the pictures justice.;)

Colors actually haven't been touched on that one. Before editing, there was nearly-black sky in the background. All I did was burn it out. Otherwise, the photo is untouched.

the first one looks like CD cover material (except for the lack of lighting on the guitarist). The rest are just concert photos. Good ones, but there isn't that special something that makes them stand out to me.

That's rather disappointing. I thought these were pretty good. What would make them stand out to you more? I ask this sincerely. I've got a big concert coming up (All American Rejects, Taking Back Sunday, and Anberlin all in the same show) and I want to know what I can do to make these better.

I'm not good enough to say how to make a photo look good yet... I do know what looks good to my eye and what doesn't, so that's all I can tell you. Sorry!

and the rest are good, by the way, I didn't mean to say that they weren't. I'm just being extra picky, since you were looking for tips.

I guess the only thing I would say is be on the lookout for lens flare and avoid it at all costs.

I think there is too much black in some of them.

Especially 1, 2 and 9. Not enough range.

Last one I'd like to see the original. The harsh color's your using doesn't do the pictures justice.;)

Colors actually haven't been touched on that one. Before editing, there was nearly-black sky in the background. All I did was burn it out. Otherwise, the photo is untouched.

I would like to see the original #6.

What makes them good? Look at the drummer in shot 8, and the guitarist and drummer together in the last shot. The thing those two pictures share is LARGE subjects, with easily-seen features. Shooting toward the lights, your exposures are going rather dark on some of these, and that makes things look black.

I would strongly think about turning the camera tall-ays and shooting one-man shots on the guitarists. It'll give you a larger head size, on just one guy, and will eliminate the competing interest that arises when you have three very small musicians in one frame.

I would allow the spotlighting to over-expose, and bring the exposure level more toward the correct exposure for the bodies, at least on some shots. When the shots are inky black on the musicians, but the spotlights are pegged perfectly, I think you've gotten the exposure too much in favor of the highights.

Do what you can; I thought you had two, ,maybe three shots, that would have made it to the album liner shots on an 80's band....you're not that far away from turning in very solid stuff.

What makes them good? Look at the drummer in shot 8, and the guitarist and drummer together in the last shot. The thing those two pictures share is LARGE subjects, with easily-seen features. Shooting toward the lights, your exposures are going rather dark on some of these, and that makes things look black.

I would strongly think about turning the camera tall-ays and shooting one-man shots on the guitarists. It'll give you a larger head size, on just one guy, and will eliminate the competing interest that arises when you have three very small musicians in one frame.

I would allow the spotlighting to over-expose, and bring the exposure level more toward the correct exposure for the bodies, at least on some shots. When the shots are inky black on the musicians, but the spotlights are pegged perfectly, I think you've gotten the exposure too much in favor of the highights.

Do what you can; I thought you had two, ,maybe three shots, that would have made it to the album liner shots on an 80's band....you're not that far away from turning in very solid stuff.

I didn't have much of a choice in terms of shooting towards the light. It was a small stage. Usually the lights aren't facing me directly when I shoot a concert. It was difficult figuring out how to pull off the shot at first but in the end I decided on this "style" of exposure (or whatever you want to call it). And as far as that goes, apart from image 7 and 9 (and the guitarist in image 2), I love the exposure. The one thing I love most about this collection of shots in the lighting and contrast from blacks to deep colors. In all honestly, I thought that was what made these shots "stand out" but apparently I'm missing something in that respect. Still trying to figure out what exactly it is...

Bear in mind, also, that I'm shooting with kit lenses. I think for the next concert I shoot I'm going to rent some new glass. I'm thinking the 14-24 2.8.

Thanks for all the feedback! Feel free to keep it coming!

I think you did an epic job. You can see and feel the energy from the show in these images. That's the whole point of shooting a concert. I enjoyed these images. Good job.

That's rather disappointing. I thought these were pretty good. What would make them stand out to you more? I ask this sincerely. I've got a big concert coming up (All American Rejects, Taking Back Sunday, and Anberlin all in the same show) and I want to know what I can do to make these better.

when shooting concerts and such if you done have a guy on the inside like me to use a little bit of white house light, and all you get are one specific color like some of these, the best thing you can do is make them black and white. i had the same problem with it before, but once i change to b&w they looked much better.

Most reactions

Back