What photo should I enter into a contest

• Total voters

BroMiCs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone this is my first post!

I am just getting into photography a little bit more serious now. (still just for fun) I have owned a digital camera since 1999 and have taken nearly 50 000 photographs but it wasn't till about a month ago that I finnaly purchased my First DSLR. I am using a Canon T2i (550D) with 18-55mm IS and 55-250mm IS.

I am going to enter a photo contest and I have narrowed it down to two photo's I would like some advice as to which one of these I should enter or if I should enter these at all.

Feel free to make any suggestions for any post processing as well as I am still new to all of this.

Photo 1
PerfectLanding.jpg

Photo 2
ToCloseforComfort.jpg

I honestly do not think that either of these two photos are going to win a contest. A macro lens would help to get a better look at insects and the backside of a bird is not very interesting. I also think that the lighting is horrible. Just my opinion, keep on trying!

Yea, I am gonna save up for a maco lense, but after dumping 1700 bux on this camera (yes I live in canada, things are expensive here) I will have to make do with what I have for now.

I was trying to catch them in the air and the bee wasn't sticking around one flower, I had to follow them around for about half an hour. I ended up taking 50 photo's of the bee ON the flower but they take off and land so fast It was almost impossible to get him flying.

I have to note that its not a proffesional photo contest, its a costco photo contest. I have seen a lot of the photo's that have been submitted and some past winners and nothing has really impressed me

I really like them! The rear view gives a look that most wouldn't even think of. I like the way each wing feather can be seen. And I like the angle of the light on the bee. I, personally, don't want to see the same stuff shot the same way. Dare to be different. Keep it up! But don't get stung.

Thanks jb

Its funny how everyone thinks so differently. edouble didn't care for the back side of a bird at all.
But that's why I posted here, to get different opinions

I just thought it was interesting because most often ppl catch humming birds sitting on a perch or flying in the air, not often will you see one with his wings stretched out like that.

They are both well taken and for me #1 is the better pic - somthing to do with the semi transparent wings. I think the lighting comment is slightly harsh. Timing is everything, well done and hope to see more of your pics soon.

They are both well taken and for me #1 is the better pic - somthing to do with the semi transparent wings. I think the lighting comment is slightly harsh. Timing is everything, well done and hope to see more of your pics soon.

Yea, I think almost being able to see through the wings really reinforces how delicate these little guys are.. I mean.. It was no bigger than my thumb.. Thats a big pose for such a little guy!!....no wait.. it was a girl.. no red neck

I honestly do not think that either of these two photos are going to win a contest. A macro lens would help to get a better look at insects and the backside of a bird is not very interesting. I also think that the lighting is horrible. Just my opinion, keep on trying!

Take your opinion and SHOVE IT.

I would enter the bee.
It captures the imagination and is something people pass by daily and never see.

I would enter the bee.
It captures the imagination and is something people pass by daily and never see.

Another witty comment by ixlr8. Do you put your super hero cape on when you sit down at your computer? As you have suggested to other people on this forum, take your middle finger and.....well you know what to do with it.

I would enter the bee.

Hey man, I never claimed to be a pro an therefore any CC is ok with me. If he would have said, your pix suck and you should burn your camera and stick to drawing with crayons I may have been a lil more miffed but like i always say, to each his own..

I know both photo's have flaws, I can see that myself. I have more technicaly perfect pix, but they flavor of this contest is geared more towards hobbiests and interesting pictures..

Lets all just be friends >>> :hug:: :lmao:

I would enter the bee.

Hey man, I never claimed to be a pro an therefore any CC is ok with me. If he would have said, your pix suck and you should burn your camera and stick to drawing with crayons I may have been a lil more miffed but like i always say, to each his own..

I know both photo's have flaws, I can see that myself. I have more technicaly perfect pix, but they flavor of this contest is geared more towards hobbiests and interesting pictures..

Lets all just be friends >>> :hug:: :lmao:

I agree I am far from a pro!!!!!!! I give my honest opinion when people ask for, I appreciate the same when I ask for opinions. This way we all can become better photographers. And who knows, maybe win a contest here and there.

Another witty comment by ixlr8. Do you put your super hero cape on when you sit down at your computer? As you have suggested to other people on this forum, take your middle finger and.....well you know what to do with it.

Well now that you ask, no.
Taking silly comments into consideration, " that was a silly question.

You know, instead of telling the man " HEY GOOD PIC" which they are, you enter the scene like some bigtime photo critic who has all the answers.
Slinging your harsh opinions around in offensive manner and then ending your rhetoric with " Oh it's only my opinion."

These are the types of actions that get you punched in the face in bars, but then you have no fear, keyboard warrior.
Oh I can imagine it now. " Oh it's only"................and before you can get the last two words out.......you take a right cross in the mouth.

Your pompous snobbery does nothing for me.

Good day

Well now that you ask, no.
Taking silly comments into consideration, " that was a silly question.

You know, instead of telling the man " HEY GOOD PIC" which they are, you enter the scene like some bigtime photo critic who has all the answers.
Slinging your harsh opinions around in offensive manner and then ending your rhetoric with " Oh it's only my opinion."

These are the types of actions that get you punched in the face in bars, but then you have no fear, keyboard warrior.
Oh I can imagine it now. " Oh it's only"................and before you can get the last two words out.......you take a right cross in the mouth.

Your pompous snobbery does nothing for me.

Good day

LOL that's some funny stuff right there!!!!!!!! Thanks for making me laugh!

IXL, this is a forum where people post their pics and request advice, exactly like the OP did, which he showed appreciation for.

As for my opinion, they're tricky captures, but not great photos in my humble opinion. As far as which is better, they both have good attributes and bad attributes. I easily prefer #2 the best... you could help it out by applying some unsharp mask to the bee... he's a bit out of focus it seems to me. The noise in #1 is really bad, and the color of the feeder is overwhelming. It is an interesting perspective... it's just too bad it wasn't a flower.

IXL, this is a forum where people post their pics and request advice, exactly like the OP did, which he showed appreciation for.

As for my opinion, they're tricky captures, but not great photos in my humble opinion. As far as which is better, they both have good attributes and bad attributes. I easily prefer #2 the best... you could help it out by applying some unsharp mask to the bee... he's a bit out of focus it seems to me. The noise in #1 is really bad, and the color of the feeder is overwhelming. It is an interesting perspective... it's just too bad it wasn't a flower.

Referring to what is highlighted BOLDLY.
And that my new found friends, IS HOW YOU DO THAT.
What you see here is a perfectly executed presentation of TACT.
An opinion and a very informative, tactful one, at that.
On a points system 3 judges scored it a 10 and the Russian judge who can't even read English gave it a 9.9.

Meanwhile Edouble basks in the glory of his score riding high in the negative value of (negative - 4). This of course equates to all four judges being confused in scoring Edoubles opinion while at the same time finding it ,tasteless.
Rather than scoring 0's, they hated it so much that they took scoring to a new level, awarding negative points.

From a photography prospective, Edouble is now overexposed and underexposed at the same time which we all previously thought, impossible.
Proving once again that in the realm of the possible nothing is impossible.
A new barrier has been breached in the time space continuum and we all have Edouble and his tasteless , tactless opinion to thank for this scientific breakthrough.

From all of us, to you Edouble.
You have boldly gone where no man has gone before.

THANK YOU

Most reactions

New Topics

Back