CC needed for first family photo

infinitex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took some pictures for a family friend for their christmas cards...they wanted pics inside a club house. I got some beautiful, well lit pictures in other parts of the building, but they really wanted the Christmas tree as well. The natural light from behind the tree just turned them into shadows, so had to use flash. I'm still working on learning lighting and bounced the flash off the high ceiling, but the light still looks so unnatural. Now i'm playing around with it in photoshop and wondering if there is a way to soften the lighting in the pic?

$TestPhoto.jpg

The light really isn't that bad. The bright line on mom's leg is a bit distracting, but I'm assuming she was wearing stockings that reflected like crazy. You can probably burn that a bit in PS.

The main issue I see with this is the posing. The three ladies look great, but dad and brother are rather disconnected from the group. Placing dad on his knees behind sisters and mom, sister in the zebra print up on her knees too, then brother with his back to his sister in the black (one knee up, the other bent and tucked under... if that makes sense).

Big groups can be tricky to pose. If you're going to do something more classic, like this, remember to build up, not out. This would have also allowed you to shoot in portrait rather than landscape, giving you more of the tree.

Thanks so much! I tried to get Dad on the floor, he wasn't having it. And I was at a loss as to where to put the little brother, I like the suggestion of putting his knee up, that way I could have scooted him in closer to his sisters.

I thought that may have been the case... dad's can be stubborn! With that in consideration, another idea would be to have dad front and center in the chair, then pose everyone else around it. You could have mom's legs turned the other way, then build the kids behind them.

Keep it up, you'll get there :)

Thanks so much! I tried to get Dad on the floor, he wasn't having it. And I was at a loss as to where to put the little brother, I like the suggestion of putting his knee up, that way I could have scooted him in closer to his sisters.

I understand father's reluctance completely.

How about the group surrounding father sitting in his chair? More tree, too, please.

Portrait format, place mother very close to father, have the children gather in tight, one or two on the floor, whatever, make the family the center of attention, but include enough tree to set the scene. You don't have to make the group perfectly symmetrical, but try for some "artistic" balance.

Also, this shot seems underexposed, so more light. I like the bounced flash, just needs more of it. If the back wall is close enough, and of a compatible color, then try bouncing off the back or maybe a side wall. If the flash won't do it automatically, then go to manual and set it higher.

Most reactions

Back