Changing Canon firmware code

Miniman1011

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys,

does anybody know if it is possible to change the open code for the Canon 1dx? I'm not a coding expert so I dont really know.

I have seen what those Magic Lantern guys did and it is amazing... I was then wondering if it is possible to "hack" the original 1dx the same way?

I am barely even using it (it is my B cam) and therefore dont mind experimenting on it. I mean it has over 320k shutter and is really beat up.

I think what you mean is "source code". This is what a programmer actually writes before it is compiled, the source code can be read but the compiled code cannot. The compiled code is what is written to the chip(s) and is the firmware you're referring to.
Should you actually get the source code, it would then need to be modified but then recompiled before overwriting what is already in your camera.
I think your question should be more like "who has done this?" rather than "is it possible?".

I think what you mean is "source code". This is what a programmer actually writes before it is compiled, the source code can be read but the compiled code cannot. The compiled code is what is written to the chip(s) and is the firmware you're referring to.
Should you actually get the source code, it would then need to be modified but then recompiled before overwriting what is already in your camera.
I think your question should be more like "who has done this?" rather than "is it possible?".
Oh I didnt know that.. thanks for the reply. Do you know perhaps where to get the source code?

Oh I didnt know that.. thanks for the reply. Do you know perhaps where to get the source code?

Source code is almost always unavailable since it is considered proprietary by the person (company) who wrote it.

There are exceptions and that is where you will see the term "open source" used.

Even if you were to find it, you still need the software tools and programming skills to read/modify it. Then you need the software tools to compile it again. You would also need the software tools to access and identify the chips in the camera that are to be reprogrammed.

Source code is almost always unavailable since it is considered proprietary by the person (company) who wrote it.

There are exceptions and that is where you will see the term "open source" used.

Even if you were to find it, you still need the software tools and programming skills to read/modify it. Then you need the software tools to compile it again. You would also need the software tools to access and identify the chips in the camera that are to be reprogrammed.
So if it is unavailable in most cases, how did the magic lantern guys get their hands on the code? Or did they just reverse engineer everything?

So if it is unavailable in most cases, how did the magic lantern guys get their hands on the code? Or did they just reverse engineer everything?
I have no idea about who you are referring to or what their relationship to Cannon might be.

I have no idea about who you are referring to or what their relationship to Cannon might be.
Magic Lantern is sort of a add-on that you put on your card and it unlocks some of the features that werent there when it came out of the factory. If you want, you can check them out here: Magic Lantern | Home

Magic Lantern is sort of a add-on that you put on your card and it unlocks some of the features that werent there when it came out of the factory. If you want, you can check them out here: Magic Lantern | Home

That was interesting. I see that they have source code (and a compiler you can download) but I have no idea where it may have originated from. I did see the disclaimer on the downloads page saying they are not affiliated with Canon.

Most reactions

Back