What's new

Cheaper EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens? Kit lens replacement for T2i?

Liamsford

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 5, 2010
Messages
23
Reaction score
1
Location
California, US
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been debating for awhile which lens would be best to upgrade from my kit lens, and came across:

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di Autofocus Lens for Can AF09C700 B&H

Would this lens be the best replacement instead of getting the $1,000 24-70mm Canon lens? I feel like I should wait until the future for this lens as I've only been shooting for a year and have many more to come. This would be my all-around general use lens and would completely replace my 18-55 Canon kit lens.

PS, other lenses I own: Canon 50mm 1.8(Portrait/low light), Bower 8mm fisheye(Skate/bmx/for fun)

Thanks!
 
I use the Canon practically every day, and I can tell you it's fantastic, different class. If you can get it for $1000 go for it I say, you won't regret the IQ. Never been a fan of Tamron, briefly used their 300 2.8 a while back and was very soft.
 
If you want all around lens get 24-105 f/4L. 70mm isn't long enough.
 
The 24-105 is a fantastic lens, no question. Depends on the kind of stuff you do - if you're into low light, portraits, etc and you're rarely going to need a longer tele then the extra stop on the 24-70 might be important, but if this is the only lens you plan on getting then the 24-105 would give you that extra reach.
 
Last edited:
I had an opportunity to rent the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 and it's extremely sharp end-to-end. Unlike the 18-270mm I already own which goes soft around 250mm. However, the variable aperture Canon zooms all have the same problem (I had a Canon 70-300mm IS that also got soft at the far end). I think it's the nature of the beast for any variable aperture zooms that go beyond 200mm.

ps. My Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 is still very sharp at 270mm when I'm shooting video because I'm using a smaller portion of the sensor. It's only when I'm shooting stills at the far range the the picture goes a "little" soft.
 
I had an opportunity to rent the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 and it's extremely sharp end-to-end. Unlike the 18-270mm I already own which goes soft around 250mm. However, the variable aperture Canon zooms all have the same problem (I had a Canon 70-300mm IS that also got soft at the far end). I think it's the nature of the beast for any variable aperture zooms that go beyond 200mm.

ps. My Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 is still very sharp at 270mm when I'm shooting video because I'm using a smaller portion of the sensor. It's only when I'm shooting stills at the far range the the picture goes a "little" soft.

Strange, cos my Canon 70-200 2.8L is pin sharp all the way, even at 200. I have heard some horror stories about the 70-300 4-5.6L IS.
 
Thanks guys. So I am better off getting the Tamron now or waiting for awhile, continue to use the kit lens,a nd get the 24-105 in the future?
 
I had an opportunity to rent the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 and it's extremely sharp end-to-end. Unlike the 18-270mm I already own which goes soft around 250mm. However, the variable aperture Canon zooms all have the same problem (I had a Canon 70-300mm IS that also got soft at the far end). I think it's the nature of the beast for any variable aperture zooms that go beyond 200mm.

ps. My Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 is still very sharp at 270mm when I'm shooting video because I'm using a smaller portion of the sensor. It's only when I'm shooting stills at the far range the the picture goes a "little" soft.

Strange, cos my Canon 70-200 2.8L is pin sharp all the way, even at 200. I have heard some horror stories about the 70-300 4-5.6L IS.

Probably because the 2.8 isn't a variable aperture, but 2.8 all the way through. I think he was primarily referencing the variable aperture lens. I have some lower end canons, and definitely feel that can be a somewhat true statement, certainly well past 250 on my cheapo 75-300.
 
Buy the best glass you can afford, even if you have to eat Ramen a little more than you like. A quality lens holds it's value well so even if you have to sell it later you don't take a huge hit. But be careful, a good lens may help give you some great images, but it can also make your mistakes and flaws in technique stand out.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom