Cheapest lens for events?

TheStupidForeigner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a broke newbie wanting to get some experience shooting events and hopefully move up the ranks to someday be able to make a side income from my passion, however I can't afford any of the equipment I need! :(

I have a Canon T3 with 18-55mm type III stock lens which in my opinion is too low quality for even daytime events, and too small aperture (F3.5-F5.6) to take photos in low light. So I'm wondering if there is any affordable lens out there that could work for me? Decent zoom lenses are just too expensive, so I was thinking about a combination of 2 prime lenses instead? Maybe something like a nifty fifty with something a bit wider? Although I've yet to find the wider option cheaply with a good aperture. I also thought about renting if I get a paid job, but I also feel this doesn't give me the time I need to get to know a lens and improve myself.

Any opinions?

My budget is around €200 or basically as low as possible.

You can found used last generation lenses that are still optically worthwhile but a fast lens, even an old one, won't be cheap.

There are many reasonably priced alternatives if one does not insist on auto focus and control.

The Samyang 85mm f1.4 lens. It is a manual focus lens.
EBAY UK: Samyang 85mm T1.5 Cine UMC AS IF Aspherical Telephoto VDSLR Lens for Canon +GIFT | eBay

Pentax M42 screw mount can be used on your T3 with an adapter. That is not just Pentax brand, many lens makers used the M42 mount.
Pentacon 1.8/50mm Carl Zeiss Sharp Lens f:50 M42 fit Digital DSLR Camera | eBay, just one example.

I hope you can find something you can use,
Phil

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I wish there was mate, but having looked at it pretty extensively myself I have not been able to find a fast cheap lens with satisfactory IQ.

The best you'll probably be able to do is buy a good quality second hand lens, and the prices for good second hand lenses are still really high.

I ended up opting for a sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS Contemporary lately as it was the best balance I could find between cost, sharpness and a fast aperture, but even then it was above your budget.

The cheapest you will probably get a fast, sharp lens would be 2nd hand but unfortunately cheap does not tend to sit with sharp and fast photography wise.

Can you use flash at your events? That'd probably increase your picture quality more anyway and fits in your budget.

Pentax M42 screw mount can be used on your T3 with an adapter. That is not just Pentax brand, many lens makers used the M42 mount.
Pentacon 1.8/50mm Carl Zeiss Sharp Lens f:50 M42 fit Digital DSLR Camera | eBay, just one example.
Phil

Are all non canon M42 mount lenses manual focus? It is definitely very cheap but for me auto focus is very important.

Anyway what do people think about my idea of using two prime lenses to shoot weddings and other events? And any suggestions on an affordable semi-wide lens which would make a good partner to a 50mm 1.8?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm a broke newbie wanting to get some experience shooting events and hopefully move up the ranks to someday be able to make a side income from my passion, however I can't afford any of the equipment I need! :(

I have a Canon T3 with 18-55mm type III stock lens which in my opinion is too low quality for even daytime events, and too small aperture (F3.5-F5.6) to take photos in low light. So I'm wondering if there is any affordable lens out there that could work for me? Decent zoom lenses are just too expensive, so I was thinking about a combination of 2 prime lenses instead? Maybe something like a nifty fifty with something a bit wider? Although I've yet to find the wider option cheaply with a good aperture. I also thought about renting if I get a paid job, but I also feel this doesn't give me the time I need to get to know a lens and improve myself.

Any opinions?

My budget is around €200 or basically as low as possible.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you buy a decent external flash instead.

You might pick up a Tamron 17-50 ,f2.8 non vc for a little more than your budget, maybe 200 with your kit lens in a trade

Are all non canon M42 mount lenses manual focus? It is definitely very cheap but for me auto focus is very important.
All M42 mount lenses are manual focus, and need the aperture selected on the lens rather than the camera body. ('Auto' M42 lenses stopped down on taking the photo but had no other auto features)

No one commented about using multiple prime lenses as an alternative? How about this?

I just don't really feel like the tamron 17-50 has much more to offer than the stock I have, it's still only a 2.8 at the widest... Donno about how much sharper it would be though.

I find the Canon kit 18-55 STM to be very sharp. For a prime on a budget you can't lose with the 50mm 1.8.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back