Checking My Composure

Bitter Jeweler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was working with my other new lens, the 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS, and I wanted to share these. All shot handheld.

Shutter: 1/30
Aperture: F5.6
ISO: 800
Focal Length: 250.0 mm
I have this in color as well, but I think the B&W is more dramatic. No Cropping

3537560960_63d641b525_o.jpg

Shutter: 1/60
Aperture: F5.6
ISO: 800
Focal Length: 250.0 mm
I am framing shots better (I think) and this was only slightly cropped.
3536747281_a7554e50bb_o.jpg

And I will throw in one abstract. I know how everyone loves abstraction.
3537561150_b3b2b2378b_o.jpg

beautiful pictures, in the third photo is that cigar or cigarette smoke

ditto on #2..... really nice. Post the colour version of #1. I am curious.

beautiful pictures, in the third photo is that cigar or cigarette smoke
It's camera shake. Nice images.

Sorry Bitter, didn't see your reply. Maybe a nitpick but do you mean composition? Nothing in the following about photography or art.

Composure

–noun serene, self-controlled state of mind; calmness; tranquillity: Despite the hysteria and panic around him, he retained his composure.

Origin:
1590–1600; compose + -ure
thinsp.png

Synonyms:
equability, serenity, quiet, coolness, equanimity, self-possession.

Antonyms:
agitation

Last edited:
wind in the trees

love your photos. you're right about the first shot, it is more dramatic in bw. it almost looks like a sketching. i love the other two as well. #2 is breathtaking

Nice photos! On the first one I can't decide if I like the color version best or the b/w one. Love the second. I just can't figure out that third one! I'm dying of curiosity! :)

Yes sir, indeed some nice photo's here, and such hope is given to me by these, simply because they were shot with the very same camera that I have, just a better lense, which I've known I need for a long time now.

Anyway, nice stuff here :)

ditto on #2..... really nice. Post the colour version of #1. I am curious.
In my original post, the words "in color" are a link to it.

Thanks for all the comments. You have made me feel I am indeed making some progress with composition, learning more about exposure is making me more confident too. I am really proud of #2 "The Comet". I still need to eek out a bit more sharpness though. Still a little frustrated.

#1 As an after thought, I wish I had taken the shot with the bright bead of water more to the left of center. But I really think the composition is balanced. I think here is enough interest in the regular, orderly, repetitive lines and veins of the leaf on the left, to contrast the random pattern of water on the right. I think the Bright bead of water in the center draws your eye back towards the left. I also love that you can see dry watermarks from an earlier rain on the left. So there is a lot of subtle things going on, on one side, and the boldness on the other.

#3 is not Trees in the wind, smoke, nor is it camera shake. :mrgreen:

Maybe a nitpick but do you mean composition? Nothing in the following about photography or art.

Composure

–noun serene, self-controlled state of mind; calmness; tranquillity: Despite the hysteria and panic around him, he retained his composure.
Thanks for the compliment. As for the nitpick...

I was being clever and combining Composition and Exposure. ;)
You know, trying to vary the "Hey! Look at these pictures!"

paulpippin29, so far I really like this lens. It was $200 which to me , was affordable to try out a longer zoom, and give me an idea of where to go in the future.

Last edited:
Maybe a nitpick but do you mean composition? Nothing in the following about photography or art.

Composure

Origin:
1590–1600; compose + -ure
thinsp.png

Synonyms:
equability, serenity, quiet, coolness, equanimity, self-possession.

Antonyms:
agitation

It's valid, just an obsolete definition:

Composure
Com*po"sure\, n. [From Compose.]1. The act of composing, or that which is composed; a composition. [Obs.]

Signor Pietro, who had an admirable way both of composure [in music] and teaching. --Evelyn.

The source, btw, appears to be the same you used :)

composure definition | Dictionary.com

Nice Pictures. I love #2. It looks like it is blowing in the wind. Lovely. I am going to take a guess on #3. It looks to me like a vase or glass bottle that has a texture (or wave) to the glass? Anyway, great job with these pictures.

Wow, great work on #2! I think this is the strongest photo I've seen you post here. Nice job!

Thanks Sherman. :thumbup:

After reading "Understanding Exposure" I had a great day of shooting today. I shot a lot setting manually. And was very pleased with the results. Much less post processing. I thank you all for helping me grow, too. :thumbup:

As for the Abstract shot...

It's a close up of my Koi Pond waterfall. You can see the string algea in the upper left, with bubbles trapped in it, and the bright white lines are reflections off the water. Camera shake, no. Motion blur, yes.

Most reactions

Back