CHESAPEAKE

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Aye Mates,
So I had a 10:00 AM training session scheduled with Ryan and his 13 month old Chesapeake Bay Retriever today. Upon their arrival, I went out to greet the lads, having known Ryan for decades but not yet having met his dog GAUGE. As I walked by the back of the travel crate holding GAUGE, I instantly got the much anticipated growl so typical of a Chesapeake on his own turf (the truck). Ryan and I exchanged greetings and I asked him to let GAUGE out to go "air out" figuring he had been crated for the hour long ride and likely needed relief. Heck, I get grumpy too after a long ride with no relief.

GAUGE promptly headed for the woods to relieve himself and then we went inside to have some coffee that I had freshly brewed, a chance for Ryan to catch me up to speed as to the level of training GAUGE had attained to date.

x4Zt8TfvT9e9yFj+vUODtQ_thumb_768e_Fotor.jpg

Ryan and GAUGE, a 13 month old Chesapeake Bay Retriever. A big blocky head on this formidable "puppy", GAUGE endeared himself to me rather quickly.

As Ryan and I sipped on hot coffee and discussed the current stage of training that GAUGE had accomplished, the beautiful "dead grass" colored "Chessie" came over to me to introduce himself and we became quick pals. I readily had a large Chesapeake Bay Retriever sitting in my lap and licking my face. It was clear to me that I had a soft spot developing for my new buddy GAUGE.

t+W7oeOBS7WUngcydnCRAQ_thumb_7670_Fotor.jpg

GAUGE is seen at full gallop after being sent to make his first retrieve of the session. An athletic stride that was indicative of his love for his work as a retriever, I saw wonderful potential in motion as he quickly made his way to retrieve the fallen training bird.

Gl2+y9i8R9eQGs64CjQBkQ_thumb_767e_Fotor.jpg

GAUGE is seen making his way back to his owner / handler Ryan, a confident prance that spoke of his pride in having made the retrieve was evident in each precisely made step across the field.

f4+D4IFMRjezLP4OlEKuvw_thumb_766d_Fotor.jpg

GAUGE has assumed his position on the "PLACE" platform and is ready to make delivery of the retrieved training bird to his handler. Ryan correctly pauses with delay to make certain that GAUGE is conditioned to hold the bird without mouthing it until he is given the verbal command "GIVE" by his handler. GAUGE is then expected to gently deliver the bird into the hand of his handler.

M7RSbXByRFyZkjp82+AmQQ_thumb_768d_Fotor.jpg

"I love the smell of Chesapeake Bay Retriever breath in the morning". As I initially work with folks and their dogs, I am in assessment mode and watching closely for a variety of factors that I hope to see as indicators of the potential in that team. One of the key factors I look for is a caring relationship coupled with leadership exhibited by the handler for his or her K9. That connection was clearly evident betwixt Ryan and GAUGE during our time spent together today. I love a dog that shows great drive and intensity for their work, and I welcome a handler that follows my advice and welcomes constructive critique that will result in improved performance in their retriever and their ability to handle the dog proficiently.

My time spent with Ryan and GAUGE today was highly enjoyable. Notes made on both strengths and weaknesses, we will now continue building on the positives while addressing those skills that need further development. I am highly confident that there are many great moments waiting to be shared betwixt Ryan and his wonderful retriever GAUGE.

Cheers,
THE DOG WHISTLER ☘️

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back