Choosing new MPB laptop

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently using a mid-2015, 15" with 2.8ghz i7 quad core, 16gb ram and Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB video.

Overall the computer still works decent but when I am doing lots of imaging I feel like it is running slow and my ram is usually being used to max capacity. The larger problem is that I travel a lot and my battery is showing "poor health". I have a very short run time unplugged especially if I am running something like LR I may get about 45 min.

To replace the battery is an all day project and a couple hundred bucks, if you don't mess up, about $400 for a 3rd party to do the work, or almost $600 at Apple. This does not seem like money well spent and I typically get a new laptop ever 4-5 years.

I was all set to buy one of the 2019, 15" MBP refurbished units direct from Apple. Now that they just released the new 16" version I am not sure what to do. I know the main specs between the units will give similar performance. How big of a deal are the "new" keyboards?

Between the 15" and 16", the 2.4ghz processors, hard drive size and 32gb ram will be the same, however I could upgrade to 64gb ram with the 16". The video card in the 16" is about 20% faster.

I am looking at a $300 difference between the 15" and the new 16" so it feels like a no brainer to choose the 16", unless I am missing something. Any thoughts?

Also I know 64gb of ram would be awesome, but is it worth the extra $400? I do some video, but not a ton. For images I mainly use LR, but plan on using more PS in the future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back