Church at night

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This ended up being a VERY technically difficult shot. Took a bracketed series there was a TERRIBLE parking lot light that blew up the uniformity of light and played havoc with my exposure. I combined light and dark images into a smart object and tried to get a best-of-both between dark and light exposures. Pulled the highlights way down. The light images had terrible flare and ghosting on my 16mm f/2.8 lens even with a hood. Lots of twiddling and here is as good as I could get it....

church at night3small.jpg

Looks pretty good to me, given the "problems" you mentioned. Would it have been possible to expose for the sky and the church separately and then combine the two shots?

WesternGuy

Looks pretty good to me, given the "problems" you mentioned. Would it have been possible to expose for the sky and the church separately and then combine the two shots?

WesternGuy
Yeah, - here is what I was running into exposing for the sky tho-
sooc-small.jpg

I found it difficult to work with, personally. Due to the blown out foreground and flare in the sky it was just tricky. Perhaps as I refine my photoshop skillz I will get better at managing.

You can see how I tried to adjust for the wide-angle distortion comparing the two.

What ever yo did to try and de skew the building didn't work. Even before I saw your second shot I knew something was off in the geometry of that building.

Night shots of buildings with lights are hard to do. If you can shoot closer to dusk (between day and night) they generally work out better. I've had to do as many as 15 shots at times to get it to look decent.

I took the liberty of taking a stab at your image in LR. If you have the raw file, there is a lot of detail yet to pull out of it. The biggest issue I saw was underexposed, straightening and WB/Tint.

church at night3small-2.jpg

Here are the settings
11.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG 14.JPG

Anytime you shoot a multi angle structure with a wide angle lens you will get distortion, the closer you are to straight on the less, but even then it happens. In LR look at the transform section, if that doesn't get it you'll have to move into PS.

Graduated ND filter?

Most reactions

Back