City Hall, Brussels

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't remember when was the last time I posted something in bw...

The most beautiful and interesting building in Brussels.

From Wikipedia:
The 96 metre (310 ft) high tower in Brabantine Gothic style emerged from the plans of Jan van Ruysbroek, the court architect of Philip the Good. By 1455 this tower had replaced the older belfry. Above the roof of the Town Hall, the square tower body narrows to a lavishly pinnacled octagonal openwork. Atop the spire stands a 5-metre-high gilt metal statue of the archangel Michael, patron saint of Brussels, slaying a dragon or devil. The tower, its front archway and the main building facade are conspicuously off-centre relative to one another. According to legend, the architect upon discovering this "error" leapt to his death from the tower. More likely, the asymmetry of the Town Hall was an accepted consequence of the scattered construction history and space constraints.The facade is decorated with numerous statues representing nobles, saints, and allegorical figures. The present sculptures are reproductions; the older ones are in the city museum in the "King's House" across the Grand Place.

There was no other chance for me to capture this building...

Grand Place, Brussels by Sounds of Shutter

I remember Brussels as the most boring town I have ever been to (that is of course excluding US cities ) but you force me to reconsider :)

I remember Brussels as the most boring town I have ever been to (that is of course excluding US cities ) but you force me to reconsider :)
No way! lol! not boring, plenty to shoot

I think we should go on a photowalk together and maybe you'll change your mind :)

I was lucky to see some non touristy parts of Brussels, but unlucky because I spent just 4 days there.

That is quite a building for a city hall. I like that way you captured it.

you have to go back. we need more shots...
don't forget your camera.

That is quite a building for a city hall. I like that way you captured it.

It was extremely difficult to find a spot and take the picture. With what I had in my hands I couldn't include all of the building.
The story behind the building is very interesting... The building isn't symmetrical, it's large and here's a bit more

you have to go back. we need more shots...
don't forget your camera.
completely agree with you! I really need to come beck there, just with the camera and obligation to shoot more :)

See, it's statements like these that throw gasoline onto my already burning desire to get the hell out of this country (that I love so very dearly and would never defect from, no worries NSA) and see the rest of the world.

Soon.

See, it's statements like these that throw gasoline onto my already burning desire to get the hell out of this country (that I love so very dearly and would never defect from, no worries NSA) and see the rest of the world.

Soon.

lol!

seriously... what's stopping you?

Soon.

lol!

seriously... what's stopping you?

Being 18, as well as the cost of camera equipment and it's direct correlation to the dust in my wallet.

I'm planning to stay in the UK next spring for a month or two, but it's a matter of having enough money for a plane ticket at this point. We shall see...

Yes, do it. Belgian beer is still way better, than most American popular brands. :D

Being 18, as well as the cost of camera equipment and it's direct correlation to the dust in my wallet.

I'm planning to stay in the UK next spring for a month or two, but it's a matter of having enough money for a plane ticket at this point. We shall see...
I thought you are older ... nothing to do with you though, I think everyone here is older :)

Save the money, spend it on traveling. That's the best choice you'll make.

Last edited:
Yes, do it. Belgian beer is still way better, than most American popular brands. :D
been in Brussels, heard about their beers, didn't try any of them :( can't drink alchocol... but when I did, my favorite drink was beer... so now you understand why :(

Soon.

Ha ha, tevo, I know how you feel, and as a foreigner I only allow this sort of remarks because I love your country. I have been to many places - from Kansas and LA to San Antonio and NYC and I know this country will not even blink at this type of jokes :). But yes, it is well worth crossing the pond at least once.

Most reactions

Back