What's new

Clear night so i had a go...

STIC

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 4, 2012
Messages
192
Reaction score
37
Location
NZ
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...
 
Last edited:
#2 is a good one!
 
FOr ISO in star field's I use 800 or 1600 it will reduce noise. I have went up to 45 seconds with the open shutter and not gotten trails.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #5
....
 
Last edited:
ISO 800-2400, keep your fstop under 4 and play around with exposure times. Hard part is getting precise focus.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Banned
  • #8
...
 
Last edited:
set your focus to infinity on an distant object before dark and leave it alone until time to shoot
 
I try to keep it about 45 seconds to keep from getting star trails. unless that is what your looking for.
 
How do you set the focus to infinity? can it be done with a D3100, I tried some shots like this before with minimal results, using bulb shutter, iso3200, and varied exposure times, and tripod. but it never seemed to be wide enough @ 18mm using a 18-55 kit lens? please help. OP im not trying to hijack i thaught id ask sinse its on the same subject. thanks
 
...
 
Last edited:
I shoot with a canon T3i and the lens is a 100 400mm IS USM, ISO at either 800 or 1600 I prefer 1600, F 4.5 shutter Bulb at 30 seconds sometimes 45 seconds. I have a 2X TC but don't like it well enough to try the night sky with it.
To set your focus to infinity is to set the camera on a tripod and focus on an object as far away as you possibly can. I set mine to manual focus and pick something so very far away it seems out of the question to focus, then manually focus while holding the shutter button down halfway as I would for AF when I hear the beep or see the red focus point in the viewfinder it is set. Some lens have the sideways figure eight in the focus area on the lens that is infinity. I go there and then back off just a smidgeon. good luck with it all. Lets see what you come up with. I have a 1000mm and put the 2X TC on it but lost so many stops it is hard to deal with but have made a few good shots with it. Most of the stuff I shoot gets deleted but 2000mm is a pretty good distance and made some descent shots next time I use it I will post some here.
 
Try ISO 1600 F stop wide open for 30 seconds you need a remote or use the timer for at least ten seconds so that after you push the button it has time for the camera to stop moving. must be on a tripod
How do you set the focus to infinity? can it be done with a D3100, I tried some shots like this before with minimal results, using bulb shutter, iso3200, and varied exposure times, and tripod. but it never seemed to be wide enough @ 18mm using a 18-55 kit lens? please help. OP im not trying to hijack i thaught id ask sinse its on the same subject. thanks
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom