Clouds - Noob Help ...

rCOSIO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rcosiophotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Whats up everyone ... apologize for a noob question, but just starting taking a lot of pictures recently and editing them through Photoshop as I have CS3 Suite ... although, can any/all help me to make the "clouds" in pictures look like actual clouds or blue or anything.

Is it just me taking pictures with ugly california skys that comes up just light blue or almost white, or what tools/sofware is best to make it look awsome like the pics i see with great clouds in the air looking like a beautiful poster style?

Any help, is great ...

Thanks!

Can you post a picture? I'm sure someone in here will play around with one of your shots to show you (if you don't mind - it says its not ok to edit your photos on the side).

There are several ways of doing it, but I'll leave the explaining to the PS experts.

Whats up everyone ... apologize for a noob question, but just starting taking a lot of pictures recently and editing them through Photoshop as I have CS3 Suite ... although, can any/all help me to make the "clouds" in pictures look like actual clouds or blue or anything.

Is it just me taking pictures with ugly california skys that comes up just light blue or almost white, or what tools/sofware is best to make it look awsome like the pics i see with great clouds in the air looking like a beautiful poster style?

Any help, is great ...

Thanks!
What shooting mode are you using? Using a DSLR? Sounds like the sky portion of your images are overexposed. It's a common problem when trying to shoot landscape images without the right kind of filter on the camera lens.

Last edited:
better metering with your camera will be helpful.

if the clouds are too white, you may be over exposing, same for light blue skies.

it is not just a matter of using an editing program, one has to start with something on the file.

i had a software writer tell me, our software can't make a "crappy image" great, in fact it might help it be a bit better, but it will never be great. A good image the software can make it better, but a well exposed file can become fanstatic.

Hey guys ...

I will post a picture later this evening, but I shoot with with a Canon Rebel T1i, polarizer on, either in M, AV, or CA mode ....

Post the image you have, Ill make a video tutorial for you =]
(though it will be a Public Tutorial meaning nayone can view it, but you will be credited for the Original image)

Hey guys ...

I will post a picture later this evening, but I shoot with with a Canon Rebel T1i, polarizer on, either in M, AV, or CA mode ....
You may need a GND (graduated neutral density) filter instead.

Circular polarizers only work well if the Sun is less than 30 degrees above the horizon and at 90 degress to the lens axis. In other words, just after sunup and just before sundown. In between those times a CPL can diminish some reflections and saturate colors a bit, but otherwise they don't do much for the sky and clouds.

Thanks for all the help, please feel free to show me what i can do with the sky in both of these pics. Feel free to edit them, for examples only in this thread ... thank you:

OD3.jpg

SkateCC.jpg

Sorry as these may not be the best type of photos, as I have only been shooting for about a month.

Thanks Again for the help ...

Keith, The only problem i see with your edit is the Halo around the subject

Personally i find #2 perfect as is,
#1 is only over exposed but fairly easy to fix, I am in the process of making a video tutorial for it :)

Keith, thanks for the help and info.

William, thanks for the input as well, and look forward to checking out your tutorial ...

thanks again guys, also, besides clouds, please send C&C as they let me know 1 is a bit over exposed ... anything else?

Most reactions

Back