Clueless & Want a Camera

AnotherNewGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are the main features to look for when buying a professional grade camera? Please list by importance.

While searching I came across the Protax DC500T which was significantly cheaper than other professional digital cameras. What's the deal here? Looks decent to me.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Errm, well, not sure how to phrase this, but you probably refer to the "Protax DC500T" ... this is not a pro camera.. this is not even a proper camera for beginners .... it is what I would call a product scam.

Biggest and most important thing?
Budget - how much are you willing to spend?
After that its the use of the camera as well -

How much do you want to spend, that's the biggest question. Then decide on either a Canon or Nikon, both are great brands and without one or the other prices would skyrocket.

Errm, well, not sure how to phrase this, but you probably refer to the "Protax DC500T" ... this is not a pro camera.. this is not even a proper camera for beginners .... it is what I would call a product scam.

:thumbup:

Biggest and most important thing?
Budget - how much are you willing to spend?
After that its the use of the camera as well -

Well I am open to spending up to 500$ initially. That would be for body and lens if possible. What are my options with that starting budget? What are some good web sites to shop around on?

Thanks, I corrected the name. I figured that was the case. Someone as new as me could fall for that, they seem to highlight some good features, but I made sure to check a forum just for that reason. I haven't seen this camera mentioned on here so thought I'd ask.

Thanks, I corrected the name. I figured that was the case. Someone as new as me could fall for that, they seem to highlight some good features, but I made sure to check a forum just for that reason. I haven't seen this camera mentioned on here so thought I'd ask.

features are not good at all! .. and putting that aside, features as expressed in numbers are not everything anyway, image quality and creative freedom are more important. And in these fields this camera lacks even more ....

Well i would definetly spend that money on the Nikon D40. It might be a little confusing at first but you will highly appreciate it once you start to get more experiance. Images will be 100X better then that promax "thing"

Or look at the Canon Rebel Xt. But the Nikon is a chick magnet =)

Jk

Either will do.

Well I am open to spending up to 500$ initially. That would be for body and lens if possible. What are my options with that starting budget? What are some good web sites to shop around on?

Well if that is your budget your main consideration is how to come up with the other several thousand dollars to get the "professional grade camera" you are looking for. The main consideration when buying a pro rig is what model Nikon or Canon you are going to buy.

Well if that is your budget your main consideration is how to come up with the other several thousand dollars to get the "professional grade camera" you are looking for. The main consideration when buying a pro rig is what model Nikon or Canon you are going to buy.

Please explain. I have seen D40's for less than this, and D60 with lens. Are these not pro cameras? Please excuse my ignorance.

It really depends how much time you have to put into your camera and what your knowldge of photography is, If you are looking for something cheap to learn on why not go with an advanced point and shoot such as the canon S5IS or even a used S3IS or an equivelent by one of the other brands. The Canon S series are nice because you can get a hack that allow syou to shoot raw format
I had my Canon S3IS for 2 years before I really put any time into learning how to use it, and understanding what f stops, apature, shutterspeed, ISO, RAW etc were, once I had an understanding I used the camera all the time and took some really nice shots.
I upgraded to the Canon DSLR 30D recently it cost me $1400 ish with lenses.

If you want to become a professional photographer, depending on the field you enter, expect to spend lots of $$$$ nice lenses, back up bodies, external back up drives and more for now as a true beginer save your cash go with a cheaper advanced point and shoot and get a feel for what photography is about. Its what I did (im not a pro-still learning) and I am glad I made that choice to go with advanced point and shoot.

Please explain. I have seen D40's for less than this, and D60 with lens. Are these not pro cameras? Please excuse my ignorance.

Profesional grade Canon could be described as the Canon Eos 1d mark 3 which is designed specifically for proffesionals, or extreme hobiests.... camera alone will set you back $8000

Oh and if you look online I recomend bhphotovideo.com or http://www.adorama.com/ fro anything else use http://www.resellerratings.com/ to check out how the store performs

There are 2 main types of (digital) cameras. Point & Shoots (like the one you posted) and DSLR's. If you want to have control over your pictures you will want a DSLR. Now there are consumer DSLR's and pro ones. The pro ones will cost thousands of dollars while the basic ones will cost hundreds. They will all take similar pictures if used by the same person. But basicly how much your DSLR camera costs really doesnt affect how good your pictures are. But professional have higher demands from their cameras which pro cameras provide.

What type of photography do you plan on doing?

Camera examples:

A P&S:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484779-REG/Canon_2239B001_PowerShot_SD750_Digital_Elph.html

And Advanced P&S:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/555843-REG/Nikon_26114_Coolpix_P80_Digital_Camera.html

A Beginner DSLR:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471716-REG/Nikon_25420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

A Pro DSLR:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518204-REG/Canon_2011B002_EOS_1Ds_Mark_III_SLR.html

Most reactions

New Topics

Back