Coins and Roses - Please Help in editing!

Canosonic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I was focused on these two interesting concepts.
Now there is just something that I don't like in them, but I'm not really sure what.
I tried to edit them in Lightroom (they are in raw) , but whatever I did, I still didn't like them.
Rolled them in here for some help.
There are a lot of versions of these, where there panned to the left/right and different angels.
These were also done in the best studio in the world (my living room on a shoe box :lol: with a white shoe box lid as a flash bouncer:mrgreen:), so I won't hesitate to repeat the session.
Unfortunately I can't afford any real bouncers, high-tech tripods, umbrellas, special lightning and so on. Is it necessary anyway?

Rose:

3724149982_7bee32314d_b.jpg

I added a bottle of wine to enhance the look:

3723344503_c334e691a7_b.jpg

And Coins that I collected, when traveling in Europe( made on the floor):

3723457671_29a3807407_b.jpg

Please tell me whats wrong and if they need any editing and if so, then what. Thanks in advance!
Maybe the coins are a bit dirty?

Well your images look pretty dark, but that is probably my monitor here at work. Have you ever tried using a "lightbox"? It can really enhance taking photos of smaller objects like these. I built mine for under $30. As long as you know how to use a roll of tape you can build it. :D

Here is a link to another forum where I posted my lightbox and the results of my photos inside it.
Home Made "Lightbox" results

Personally I feel the rose isn't red enough, but I like the angle of the shot and the water droplets. As for the coins, them being dirty adds character (IMO), but you could try soaking them for an hour in neat cleaning fluid (the really strong stuff, the kind that Billy Mays would have sold!). That always brings them up shiny, then you could try the shot again and see if it works any better for you.

Thanks for the input!
I will consider in making a lightbox, though I think I saw one cheap, didn't think about it, since I thought its a waste.
When talking about darkness, I admit that I like to underexposure. To defend myself against critic, i say: "Its my style":lol:
I will try to correct the red in lightroom, Ill post it as soon as my connection will work like I want!
Thanks again

If you don't mind I went ahead and did some editing in Photoshop CS4. I used curves and brightened the picture, then enhanced the saturation, used diffused glow, then a little bit of gaussian blur.

rosee.jpg

I lightened them up a little. Messed with the contrast & cranked up the color slightly. :) Just to give you an idea or two.
ygpqo.jpg

-
jrbkuf.jpg

Most reactions

Back