Compact Tripod that would double as Mono??????

BigBazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Am away on Safari soon and am in need of a compact travel tripod that
a) Fits in my case
b) would be able to be used as a Monopod for vehicular shots ie feet resting on the seat

I will be taking a Canon7D + 100 x 400 ....... dont intend to use it as a tripod other than the odd shot maybe without the 100x400 on it but want the flexibilty of having a dual purpose piece of kit just in case ...... My luggage allowance is getting near its limits and cant take the ones I already have (too heavy/big)!!
Many Thanks in anticipation Baz

If you don't plan on using a tripod very much, then maybe think about this...
Get a small, easily packable tripod for that odd time that you need it, and then just get an actual monopod...a good one that can be used as a walking stick etc. Even a large, sturdy monopod will likely take up less space & weight than a travel tripod.

I have one of these, it lives in my camera bag so that when I need it, it will be there. Pedco #2 BlackPD02010 B&H Photo Video

Also going on safari. It was recommended to me that a bean bag might be a good choice for shooting from a vehicle.

A bean bag does work, but more convenient is the usually squishy top of a camera bag

dont intend to use it as a tripod other than the odd shot maybe without the 100x400 on it but want the flexibilty of having a dual purpose piece of kit just in case .

If this is the case, then my recommendation is to simply just take a monopod AND some large rubber bands (or bongo ties). Make sure the monopod is equipped with a small ball head.

- It serves its main purpose == monopod.
- It will be smaller than any tripod
- It will be lighter than any tripod.
- When you "need" a tripod, find a couple sticks and "make" a tripod by strapping them to your monopod with the rubber bands/bongo ties. The ball head will allow for adequate adjustment.
- Can't find sticks? Strap the monopod to a tree, bush, stump, post, vehicle, or whatever you can find. Again... ball head for adequate adjustment.

This is what I do when I go on long hikes....

how about a monopod that can act as a tripod?
I have a manfrotto 682B self standing monopod. the feet fold up into the base when you just want a monopod.
holds the camera, 70-200, flash bracket and sb-700 quite well. and its not too wobbly.
I just have a simple ball head on mine.

View attachment 52719

how about a monopod that can act as a tripod?
I have a manfrotto 682B self standing monopod. the feet fold up into the base when you just want a monopod.
holds the camera, 70-200, flash bracket and sb-700 quite well. and its not too wobbly.
I just have a simple ball head on mine.

View attachment 52719
I saw that in a store and I thought to myself...a dog's fart would probably blow it over. But it's nice to hear that it's not true.
Would it work at all, if you were say...outdoors on less than perfectly flat/hard surfaces?

I saw that in a store and I thought to myself...a dog's fart would probably blow it over. But it's nice to hear that it's not true.
Would it work at all, if you were say...outdoors on less than perfectly flat/hard surfaces?

Hell no it doesn't just blow over.
I was a little skeptical myself, but once i got the camera on it, i could see just how stable it actually is. Stable enough to stand there on its own and not wobble much at all.

I really cant speak much for surfaces more uneven than asphalt or grassy areas. I doubt it would stand on much of an incline, but in reasonably level dirt, grass, gravel, or road it does very well.
I don't really expect it to replace our tripod, but it DOES give us a little more flexibility when we need a monopod.

If you really want a full tripod, I believe Oben makes some tripods where the head can attach to one of the legs to create a monopod. Don't know the models off the top of my head.

Thanks to one and all ....... The problem I will have is that the vehicle does not have any windows or sills to rest a bean bag or suction pad on..... its more a two tiered 4 x 4, just really want a small ligtweight tripod to double up as a Mono...... I have a Manfrotto Mono & tripod but both would be too heavy/bulky for travel purposes. .... will continue looking thanks ......may go Carbon Fibre route ....but expensive :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back