Contacted by a Publisher??

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I get home today and find this email in my incoming mail. Has anyone ever received anything like this? Is anyone familiar with it? I'm not sure what to think. I followed the link (against my better judgment because of spam and viruses) and it seems like it's legit. Any advice?? :confused:

You've been sent a Flickr Mail from Emma J. Williams:

------------------------------------------------------------

:: Schmap: Chattanooga Photo Short-list

Hi Kim,

I am writing to let you know that one of your photos has
been short-listed for inclusion in the ninth edition of our
Schmap Chattanooga Guide, to be published early November

Schmap Photo

Clicking this link will take you to a page where you can:
i) See which of your photos has been short-listed.
ii) Submit or withdraw your photo from our final selection
phase.
iii) Learn how we credit photos in our Schmap Guides.
iv) Browse online or download the eighth edition of our
Schmap Chattanooga Guide.

While we offer no payment for publication, many
photographers are pleased to submit their photos, as Schmap
Guides give their work recognition and wide exposure, and
are free of charge to readers. Photos are published at a
maximum width of 150 pixels, are clearly attributed, and
link to high-resolution originals at Flickr.

Our submission deadline is Friday, October 23. If you
happen to be reading this message after this date, please
still click on the link above (our Schmap Guides are updated
frequently - photos submitted after this deadline will be
considered for later releases).

Best regards,

Emma Williams,
Managing Editor, Schmap Guides
http://www.schmap.me/ewilliams

Last edited by a moderator:
They do not pay. At least that's what I remember from other threads on the same subject. It seems they publish guides all over the country and it's a tear sheet.

Just try and do a search of the forum. I seem to remember at least two other threads about the same people.

And congrats.

Yea, it's not a paying book. I take it as the type of books thousands of people pick up when they are vacationing in the area to see area attractions and hotels. I probably picked one up myself when I was vacationing there and didn't know it.

I'll do the search. Thanks for the info.

Actually, you have never picked one up. LOL.

I just checked because I wasn't absolutely sure but they are online guides. Check the "ABOUT US' thing on their site. They seem to be huge. And form what I remember reading the photographers involved in the other threads had given them permission to use. I think I would to.

You can't get a tearsheet per say but print out the page your stuff is on or do a screen capture or something like that and put it in your portfolio file.

These pop up all the time. Check out the terms and the size your image will be if you let them use it, it's pretty small and you basically have to give your image away.

This is legit, but you'd have to be pretty daft to give them your image for free.
Publicity please

It is a free Guide I think it was InTempus that posted this last time
Cant mind, I think it was tho.

Good offer, I'd take it and it's only 150 pixels, That's fairly small on a4

Also I wouldn't post the link, Someone could Reject or submit the image from that link WITHOUT your permission

I've had a few of those, accepted in the past, but not in the present.

Its legit. Its an online guide to various cities. They comb through flickr to get people's photos for free. They figure that if they can get some amature / novice / beginner to give their images up for free, they can save money by not hiring a photographer or paying for it.

I accepted my first invite a while back. But I haven't accepted the more recent ones.

Your picture will be included as a small thumbnail version on the top right hand side page of the city / area in the guide. There will be multiple photos that will stream through this little area and while your name does appear under your photo and it does link to your flickr, by the time someone clues in on the photo and wants to see more of your work, the stream has moved on.

Head to their website, click to find an online guide. You wil be shown a map, mouse over one of the camera icons on the map and you'll see the steaming images on the upper right hand side.

I just went to the Montreal guide, Jean-Talon Market area and I manually clicked 56 times until my image came up. There are probably many many more up there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back