Contax and Kiev ... parts to spare?

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I gotta Contax II and seeking advice from Kiev experienced restorers ...

DSC06970.jpg

and I need to replace the shutter curtains and especially the spring loaded roller ... so since the Kiev models used the same design, can any of the Kiev models be used to replace the curtain/rollers in a Contax II or do I really need a Kiev 2 (which probably used the original Contax parts)??

Any of the dusty old shops around Church+Queen in TO still selling/servicing Russian stuff?

The shutter from the latee Kiev will work fine.
Oleg at OK vintage camera has parts or could restore the camera for you.
I have a parts Contsx iI with Kiev shutter .

Neat little guy. I do not think I have one of those in my collection or online sales box.

The shutter from the latee Kiev will work fine.
Oleg at OK vintage camera has parts or could restore the camera for you.
I have a parts Contsx iI with Kiev shutter .
Hmm, interesting ... your parts Contax has a shutter from a Kiev 4 or later?

Sorry about the delay.
Yes one of my Contax has a new old stock shutter from a later Kiev.
I understand that the entire shutter shoud be replaced.
Oleg can sort it at OK Vintage Camera .He would have parts to do it yoursel.
Regards
dee

How did the curtains got damaged? Usually its the ribbons that brake. A Kiev 4 shutter should work fine (I wouldn’t sacrifice a Kiev II, nowadays they are more worth than their Contax equivalents).

Thanks for the followup, Paul.
I suspect a previous owner tried to repair it and they over tightened the roller springs.
Hmm, is there any Kiev model that does not have a compatible shutter curtain with the Contax II ?

With Kiev 4 cameras it is always hit and miss. There maybe a little bit of tweaking necessaary even when transplanting parts between two Kievs. I think you can score a relatively inexpensive Kiev on flebay and give it a try. It should work.

Pittsburgh Camera Exchange has always a bazillion little parts, etc. Don't know if they still do. They did have listings on their own site, and an ebay page. (Their retail store was Bernie's, you might need to look and see what you find, but they were always a good source of tidbits and oddities!)

Thanks for the tip, did a search and they got no Kiev parts ... but as I mentioned I snagged a broken Kiev 2a w/ Jupiter-8 lens. I just hope the shutter has good springs ... I could probably recoup half the cost by selling just the lens.

Good! have fun with it.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Oleg at -

1684841798615.png

OKVintageCamera

is the Guru for all Contax/Kiev related information.
I am certain he would advise.
For example, he suggest replacing the entire shutter assembly from a Kiev to Contax due to minor differences and different ribbons.
These hybrids were the opportunity to have wrecks rebuilt in Ukraine by ex-Arsenal Techs .
The Tan Contax II was very well used but they repaired the original shutter.
The paint was removed and metal polished + tan covering .
The other has a new old stock Kiev shutter.
If anyone questions the compatibility . one is a Contax III with 1957 Kiev 4 meter and controls - with new cell .
Why / Cos i like using the old selenium meter.
Somewhat OTT I guess.
Some query the use of Kiev parts , but if the option is non working 1930s camera , I don't see why.
Regards
dee

Attachments

• a Contax tan1 - 1.jpg
    a Contax tan1 - 1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 8
  • A CONTAX 4 - 1.jpg
    A CONTAX 4 - 1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 7
  • a Contax tan1 - 1 (1).jpg
    a Contax tan1 - 1 (1).jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 9