Couldn't figure out how to use the bloody thing

TWX

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was in a pawn shop within the last couple of weeks and they had an Olympus OM-D M5 Mark II for sale, with enough remaining battery power to actually give it a onceover. I've basically only used Canon for modern interchangable lens systems, so figured I'd give it a look-over. Put it into manual mode, turn of the main dial was easy enough for that, but playing with it for around five minutes I could not figure out how to control the manual settings like ISO, aperture, and shutter speed.

Admittedly I didn't try too terribly hard, but I figured either an on-screen control or else the knobs and buttons would give the the option to change settings, that didn't seem to work. Any thoughts as to what I was doing wrong?

It might be that Olympus actually has a non-intuitive menu system.

Perhaps. Could be there was a settings-lock control that I didn't see.

They were asking too much anyway, if I'd been an Olympus shooter I wouldn't have paid the $950 they were asking, and as a Canon shooter it would have had to be less than half that to make me even consider given I'd have to either start buying new lenses or I'd have to buy a fairly expensive adapter to run Canpn lenses on a Micro 4/3 body with functional controls. I just wanted to get a feel for it, and when it doesn't want to let you change settings, hard to do that.

Body only? If yes, that’s ridiculous. They’re like $400-500 used elsewhere. If it had a lens, what lens?

Body only? If yes, that’s ridiculous. They’re like $400-500 used elsewhere. If it had a lens, what lens?
It had a lens that looked like it had the same design aesthetic as the camera. I think it was the 14-150mm kit lens.

Now I'm confused though. I could've sworn the resolution of the camera in the menu system was higher than the reported 4608 x 3456 16MP resolution, but the controls on top on pictures of the Mk-III version don't look like what I remembered handling.

upload_2020-1-15_21-56-9.png

It had a lens that looked like it had the same design aesthetic as the camera. I think it was the 14-150mm kit lens.

Now I'm confused though. I could've sworn the resolution of the camera in the menu system was higher than the reported 4608 x 3456 16MP resolution, but the controls on top on pictures of the Mk-III version don't look like what I remembered handling.[/QUOTE]\

The EM5.2 uses a 16MP sensor but the EM5.3 has a 20MP sensor. The kit lens are normally a 14-42mm and optional 40-150mm lens (non-weather resistant) but on special occasions Oly bundles the weather resistant 14-150mm lens as a travel package. I use the 14-150mm on my EM1.2 and the lens is way better than 10.6x zoom should be. I'm inclined to agree that $950 is too high as currently you can buy the same thing brand new from Oly US for $50 more. The list price for that bundle is $1499.

Most reactions

Back