What's new

Critique for "Frostbite"

SLPhotography

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 16, 2013
Messages
45
Reaction score
2
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had the day off on Thursday because of 2 feet of snow and while I was shoveling, I had my camera just inside the door so I could put Lightroom 5.6 (new to me) and the new Photoshop CC (just upgraded from CS5) to good use. Please let me know what you think, be harsh, I need to get better.


[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR="class: lookatme"]
[TH]Camera[/TH]
[TD]Nikon D3100[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lookatme"]
[TH]Exposure[/TH]
[TD]0.008 sec (1/125)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lookatme"]
[TH]Aperture[/TH]
[TD]f/5.6[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: lookatme"]
[TH]Focal Length[/TH]
[TD]55 mm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH]ISO Speed[/TH]
[TD]160[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]


DSC_0033.JPG by SethLaidacker, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
The exposure is nice, the color is good and it isn't overly processed. So technically, it's well done but I just don't find it all that interesting. And the vignette bugs me.
 
Vignette on upper left corner is a bit too obvious. I LIKE the reflections of the trees on the passenger-side windows and on the area above the car's right front wheel! The vignette on the snow in the lower right corner is not helpful. Overall, the snow and the cool-looking blue car makes for a really nice "car picture"--the SNOW on the ground and the many bits of snow and the water on the car REALLY helps to define the paint and the contouring of the car. This is a much more-interesting car shot than many, just due to the big snow, and the way the car's paint actually has water beaded up and snow bits, which add a HUGE amount of depth and dimensional clues, compared to just plain, clean, dry, boring "paint".
 
I dont know, doesnt do anything for me. A car in a snow covered driveway is so common in much of the country I think you should try something more creative with the composition. Perhaps some detail shots of the streaks and snow on the hood or something.
 
try a white vignette. I think for snow pictures its a more pleasing effect. the picture is just kind of blah. I would have tried to get closer to the car, maybe lower and find some interesting vantage point to get portions of the car with the snow. a vantage point that had some leading lines angling across the shot would be nice
 
The exposure is good but speaking photo wise it's not that great.
The vignetting is way too overdone. Instead of leading my eyes toward the center of the picture I find myself doing the opposite and more interested in where the vignetting leads - in this case your watermark.
As for the composition, it's a very uninteresting photo.
You could have used better framing and a longer focal length to achieve some shallow or deep depth of field.
I also feel like the house clashed with the treeline in the background distracting me from the foreground.

All in all, I feel like this was taken with a cellphone to show off for an ad in craigslist.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom