Critique on Nature Photos

jtimmons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just starting out in this field, so be gentle!

[1]
DSC_3338.jpg

[2]
DSC_3755.jpg

[3]
DSC_3173.jpg

i really love the first one. the content and colors are great. very nice depth of feild. would have been better if the birds wings were fully in focus. (imo) and also the compsition feels off to me, but maybe thats just me.

in the critiwue forum its best to only post one photo you want critiqued and to be specific about what your area of concerns are that you are seeking critique on

The first one is definitely my favorite of the group. The birds wings look a little blurred maybe? Perhaps a faster shutter speed could have been used. Also I think it will help the photo and from eyes wandering off the subject if the bottom is cropped out a bit. Nice pictures:thumbup:

Thanks guys, like I said I am just starting out, so what I am looking for is all around critisizm. I just want an all around view on how to make my pictures better. Again thanks for the information.

Hiya jtimmons and welcome to ThePhotoForum.

I have moved your post to the Landscape and Nature Gallery. The Critique Forum is reserved for more serious critique and therefore we like to keep it to one image at a time...
(see_Forum_Rules), otherwise it just gets too confusing.

Feel free to post multiple images in other parts of the forum...or to re-post your images individually into the Photo Critique section, with more of an explanation of the shot, equipment used, settings, and some remarks on what you were trying to capture and to show.

Thank you.

The motion blur in the wings works just perfectly for me, even more frozen action would have killed the feeling of flapping wings, I am amazed at finding the far wing almost without blur, anyway. What a lucky moment to be captured so perfectly! I envy you for this one! Nice light, too, and a wonderful background (also colourwise ;) - ah, you need to know me better to understand).

The second is "serenity" ... very soothing sights, lovely reflections.

I do like the reddish either early morning or late evening light on the flower in the last! The out-of-focus mirror-image flower helps this photo a lot, as does the chosen DOF (depth of field) and good focus. And the flowers as such are lovely, too.

One nitpick, though: your presentation size is too large.
They are 1024 wide (the horizontal ones), which means that all those with older screens will have to scroll horizontally to see the whole of the photo, which will not help you get replies.
Experience has shown that the best size for the long side of your photo is between 640 and 800 pixels.

Welcome to the forum :)

1) The bird is not in focus, the bird box is. Your main subject should always be in focus, or if not the whole thing then the eyes are a must otherwise you lose the connection with whatever it is your photographing and that is a shot killer I'm afraid. This is always a tricky thing when photographing small birds as they move fast and can go out of your depth of field very quickly. In these situations its always good to manual focus, in this case just in front of the box would have been ideal. Then just try and time it as the birds flies away. Practice (and LOTS of out of focus photos) makes perfect but when you get that one razor sharp shot it will all be worth it :)

2) Is a nice enough scene although it looks like you have taken the shot at mid afternoon as the light is very harsh. The reflections are nice though. But every looks a little too bright and contrasty. Morning or evening light makes for the best times for landscapes (although thats not a golden rule, it also depends on the scene your photographing).

3) The background on the third is too distracting. If you are going for a macro shot you need to have a clutter free background to make your subject stand out.

I hope your not offended by my comments, I do think for a beginner you have an eye for things and thats the most important thing! Your three images here do all have issues though and thats why I have pointed them out with tips on what to look out for next time to improve. No point in saying they are all great as you'll not learn as fast then! But as I say you've got the right idea and I'll look forward to seeing your progress :)

Most reactions

Back