critique please!

julius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I already posted this elsewhere on the forum but decided that it really needs some critiquing.

This is the result of a new lens I got yesterday. I found this tiny insect within a flower around 3-4 cm in diameter. I shone a torch from behind the flower and using manual focus and a tripod got a shot of the little bugger running around inside.

I've had a fairly bad reaction from my photo friends and had comments like it would be a better photo without the insect because there is no detail, or the composition and DoF is all wrong.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me your opinions on this. I have really really thick skin and want to learn. Even if it's just something like "I hate this picture it sucks" it's all good.

Cheers :)

7yf4yth.jpg

You really have to get in much closer for this to be effective. This generally means a 100mm macro lens or close up diopters which are like filters that go on the end of your regular or zoom lens for close-up work.

skieur

You really have to get in much closer for this to be effective. This generally means a 100mm macro lens or close up diopters which are like filters that go on the end of your regular or zoom lens for close-up work.

skieur

cheers. this was actually shot with 100mm f2.8 macro lens. would be fairly close to 1:1 replication at this point it was really very very small.

Here is my "hack" opinion. I love the idea behind the photo. To me, it's trying to show the scale (which is tiny) to the insect relative to the size (which is small too) of the flower. However, I don't see much of a flower at all. I know it's there because there is some slight visible outline of it. The insect is there... however small it is and frankly where else would a bug be? But what I don't like about the photo is all of the wasted area there is around the focal point (the bug) of the photo.

My point is (I suppose) that if you're going for "Oh my god, that bug's tiny!" I think you need more flower and a much tighter crop. Right now all I see is "What?!?" All this is said by a photographer that doesn't do a lot of macro so I can not give a technical review. I do however know what pleases me when I look at it. Good job on the effort. I know these shots can be difficult to get and don't let me discourage you. =o)

Opinions are purely subjective!

SUCH a shallow depth of field!
Hmm, I do agree with dpolston. More flower would be nice, because the bug is just SO tiny and it's really the only thing to look at in the image.

I amazed at how much detail the little guy does show... I guess the shot comes across to me as almost abstract... I actually think its pretty cool... I think what bothers me the most is the halo type path, which runs in a circle on inside of flower?? I'm think its caused by your light source behind the flower ?? The halo , just seems to disturb the shades of yellow..

I like the picture. The main thing about it is how small the bug is and the sprawling mass of background.

I think it could be improved a lot by just rotating it 90 degress counter clockwise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back