Crown Jewel of Saint Louis

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Henry Shaw arrived in Saint Louis just as the westward expansion was heating up and settlers were arriving daily on river boats to outfit themselves and their wagons for the trip west. Henry had a wagon full of hardware. Pretty soon Henry was the riches man in the city and owned what seemed like 1/2 of it. But the life of a business man didn't appeal to him. Henry loved trees.

When he got old Henry made arrangements for his passing. He created what grew into one of the world's most important botanical gardens (where he is buried): Missouri Botanical Garden (https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org). And he gave the city a park -- Tower Grove Park. The park is an arboretum planted with over 100 species of trees and the city is contractually bound to keep it that way in perpetuity -- so far so good. The park is across the street from the gardens. I'm fortunate to live two blocks away from both. Tuesday I went for a walk in the park and took my Fuji XT-4 w/16-55.

Last photo shows the park's Victorian fake ruins. A popular venue for wedding and engagement photos.

twr-grove.jpg
lotus-flwr.jpg
pink-canna.jpg
elephant-ear.jpg
ruins.jpg

What a terrific set. The B&W image at the top is sensational.

What a terrific set. The B&W image at the top is sensational.

Thanks, appreciate the comment. The B&W was a bit tricky with the backlight.

Joe

Agreed. No 2

Most reactions

Back