CS5 Gradient Banding...HELP!

Are you talking about in the gradient editor? I just played around with it for awhile, but no matter what I do, I can always see the gradient change (granted thats what a gradient is, but I am looking for smooth seamless). Although when I lose a channel, it does seem to look better. I guess I have never ran into this much of an issue with banding, I am not sure if its because of the color or what. I have now spent probably 4 hours trying to make it go away! If this was for a personal project I wouldnt care as much, but this was T&I for a wrestling club. I thought for sure when I went to 32 bit color mode it would resolve this issue, I changed that back so I didnt have to work in a 3GB file size! I can post a screen shot of more of the image if it would help, but I think I am about done, and am going to leave that part out.
If it's really important, maybe shoot a photo of a gradient with a quick setup of a light and an acceptable surface, and drop that in as a composite.

Its not the end of the world. The gym we usually use, had a large black curtain that we could pull across the gym, this year it's gone! So I told them I had an idea I wanted to try out anyway, this being it. Here's basically what I was doing. You can see obviously what I was doing, but the gradient is the 2nd to lask mask on the layers "Floor". The idea is the last layer is a dark shade of grey for the base of the floor, the 2nd one up the the floor is a gradient going from a darker color (black) behind them getting a little lighter the closer it gets to the camers, like normal light fall off.

Ignore the text, I am still working on it (as you caqn see MYWA written twice), as well as cleaning up the reflection edges. These are just taken with the snipping Tool in Win7. But an idea of the whole thing.

Before- This was after replacing tongues sticking out, fingers in noses, peace signs, lol.
Teambefore.jpg

After
MYWATeam.jpg

a little update, after applying the mask to the layer, and then applying 3.5% noise I was able to live with the result. I then thought I could apply a gaussian blur again to smooth it out a little...it instantly made the banding appear as bad as it was before. I have spent way too much time on this, averaged over an hourly rate on the amount of time I have dinked around on it...I owe myself money now!

Most reactions

Back