D1 Grand Prix Drifting auto event

cfusionpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some pictures I took at the first US D1GP event under new management. The event, from a drifting fan's perspective, was pretty awful compared to events of past, but it yielded me some of my best (IMO) shots. I just wish I could get a hold of a media pass so I wouldnt have to rely on sneaking in holes in the fence and zoom shots from the stands...

mg8916.jpg

mg8936.jpg

mg8946.jpg

mg8971.jpg

mg8972.jpg

mg8982.jpg

mg9025.jpg

mg9083.jpg

mg9109.jpg

mg9122.jpg

mg9123.jpg

mg9138j.jpg

mg9150.jpg

mg9157.jpg

mg9215.jpg

mg9236.jpg

mg9241.jpg

mg9275.jpg

mg9301.jpg

mg9319.jpg

mg9350.jpg

All shots are off my Rebel XTi; before I had the 50D. Every shot except for the the sunglasses and band shots were with the 70-300mm. Sunglasses with 50 f/1.8; band with 17-85.

Last edited:
wow man those so amazing shots wow .. the flaming GTR - wow

Nice work :) You have some good shots there, why not mail them ahead of the next event and apply for a media pass, which is what I always do. Mail a couple of your best pics, say it like it is : you're a hobby photog, refer to your homepage if you have one, say you'll let them use your pics if they want, and see what happens ...

But definitely thumbs up for numbers 2, 5, 6, 11, 16, 18 & 21.

Nice Shots. I was able to get a media pass to the Atlanta Event earlier this year. It was my first time going, i had a blast shooting it. To bad it wont happen again til next year, but i plan on doing it again. I posted my shots in a call My Top 10 Drift Shots, or something like that, check it out.

Nice work :) You have some good shots there, why not mail them ahead of the next event and apply for a media pass, which is what I always do. Mail a couple of your best pics, say it like it is : you're a hobby photog, refer to your homepage if you have one, say you'll let them use your pics if they want, and see what happens ...

But definitely thumbs up for numbers 2, 5, 6, 11, 16, 18 & 21.

That sounds like a great idea! While there aren't any more D1GP events in my area any time soon, Formula D is pretty consistant up in LA. I'll have to follow that route; maybe get myself in like that. :thumbup:

There are a helluva lotta photos there, so I'm just gonna comment on my favourites :).

I really do like the idea of number 2. It's a really interesting take on a regular crowd shot. Although it doesn't look too brilliant on the web, I suspect it'll look fantastic as a 8 x 10 or A4-sized print.

Number 9 also looks good. Not only is the car nice, the background is nice and uncluttered. The fact that the car is yellow, whereas the background mainly consists of red and grey also makes it stand out.

Finally, I LOVE number 16, it's a really well-made photo, the partial B&W conversion is incredible, and the flame just finishes it off. How did you manage to capture it? I would've thought that flame coming out of an exhaust would be near impossible to catch on photo.

The rest are fairly good, but some of the panned shots aren't quite pin sharp, and, in my opinion, the background is fairly cluttered for some of the still photographs. Still, some really nice work! I wouldn't mind buying a couple of these at a market there :).

There are a helluva lotta photos there, so I'm just gonna comment on my favourites :).

I really do like the idea of number 2. It's a really interesting take on a regular crowd shot. Although it doesn't look too brilliant on the web, I suspect it'll look fantastic as a 8 x 10 or A4-sized print.
You catch the orange subaru sliding around the corner in that shot too? ;) As soon as I looked at my friend while in the stands, I knew I had to capture that shot somehow.

Finally, I LOVE number 16, it's a really well-made photo, the partial B&W conversion is incredible, and the flame just finishes it off. How did you manage to capture it? I would've thought that flame coming out of an exhaust would be near impossible to catch on photo.
Pure luck. I saw it spitting sporattic flames and just snapped in burst mode. Managed to catch all of ONE flame shot, and as luck would have it, its dang near perfectly composed; even showing the driver's face in the side mirror.

The rest are fairly good, but some of the panned shots aren't quite pin sharp, and, in my opinion, the background is fairly cluttered for some of the still photographs. Still, some really nice work! I wouldn't mind buying a couple of these at a market there :).
I would say that other than #7, I'm satisfied with the sharpness of all the other pans. I just had no other panned shots of S15s. There's two of them in shot 20, but it was a quick exposure, and I just love watching those cars go sideways because its one of the few we don't get here in the States.

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back