D100 - Now What?

shutter release

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been a D100 user for over 5 years now and I'm ready for a change. It's just too heavy and I am being wooed by the newer Nikon bodies. However, do I really need to step up to the D200 to still be happy (I have loved my D100 to date in terms of the quality and performance)? I stopped into a camera shop this week and the salesman couldn't bad-talk Nikon enough and told me that Canon is the ONLY way to go, but I already have so much invested in lenses for my Nikon. Would the D70s make me a happy camper?

Ignore the salesman.

If you have a lot invested in Nikon lenses, I would never think of jumping ship.

I second that. No point in having to re-buy all of your lenses all over again unless you like spending money. ;)

We shoot with both Nikon and Canon and while some features are different between the two cameras, they're both equally as good. People that are brand biased will always try and tell you otherwise. It's one of my pet peaves when sales people push you one way or another by bad talking one brand. Makes me think that Canon just pays a better comission. I always thought they were there to help you make an informed decision.

Do either of you have experience with the D70s and the D200 in comparison to the D100? I am not a professional, but use my camera a lot for a number of different events and happenings. Would the added expense of the D200 be worth it to me or would the D70s give me the lighter weight and performance satisfaction that I am looking for? i.e. I would not feel as though I stepped down from the D100.

shutter release said:
Do either of you have experience with the D70s and the D200 in comparison to the D100? I am not a professional, but use my camera a lot for a number of different events and happenings. Would the added expense of the D200 be worth it to me or would the D70s give me the lighter weight and performance satisfaction that I am looking for? i.e. I would not feel as though I stepped down from the D100.

Personally, I use the D70, and was originally debating the D70 v. D100. As it turns out, the D70 (and therefore D70s) are better cameras because they are newer. There are some annoyances, like the MIA Nikon full function battery grip, but it is a great camera. However, I do not believe that it is so much better than the D100 to warrent the $1000 you'll be spending. The D200 is a major leap from the D100, however, and you will certainly see a distinct difference, which I'm not sure you will with the D70s. Hope I was helpful.

Oh, and yeah...Stick with the line of cameras you originally invested in.

We have a d70 also and we, like Joe, debated between the D100 and D70 and ended up with the D70. I still think that the D200 is a great step up and I would like to explore the possiblility of doing the same in the future. We do shoot professionally but I don't think that would influence my decision on the 200.

You can always compare them all at DPReview

Most reactions

New Topics

Back