D300s uncompressed Vs D7000 lossless compressed RAW

gfonderoli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm looking to buy a new camera body real soon. I currently shoot a D80 but I am looking for a more professional camera. I shoot action in a snowy environment most of the time. I do own speedlights so I also shoot studio and on sight urban settings. My question is do the added megapixels on the D7000 matter more than 2-3 extra frames per second? also a big one that I have been researching is the Loss less compressed option on the D7000. I want the best quality image possible to sell and the D300s gives that. I just can't afford FX right now and would rather get set in with a nice body so I can buy more lenses and lighting.

Thanks for any input

On a side note, When does the D300s upgrade (D400?) come out?

On a side note, When does the D300s upgrade (D400?) come out?

No one knows. Nikon expert Thom Hogan has "predicted" that Nikon will announce the D300s replacement in the second half of 2011. But it's not much more than an educated guess, AFAICT.

But don't expect an imminent "D400" release.

There's a new post here showing some D300 (not the D300s) versus the D7000 side-by-side comparisions. The image quality of the D7000 appears a bit better than the older D300. The "camera" part of the equation though...that's where it's trickier to evaluate...it sounds to me like the D7000 has dumbed-down, consumer type autofocusing body controls...the way AF areas are assigned....I dunno...this sounds to me more like a camera designed for the "end user" and less like an enthusiast's camera.

According to Thom Hogan, Nikon has stated that the D7000 is not the D90's replacement. Again, Nikon say that the D7000 say is NOT the D90's replacement...that makes me wonder if there might not be a D90s follow-up released; one that incorporates some features of the D7000, like the new 16MP sensor, low-noise electronics, BUT which has the more traditional Autofocus controls of the D90 and/or of the D300 series bodies.

I would think that shooting action means that you'd want the best AF system for your needs. I'm not sure that the D7000 has that--the camera's barely out, and basically all we've seen from it are a few pet snaps and some still-life comparisons scenes from it. The sensor part is looking good, but I have not seen much conclusive proof as to how good of a "Camera" the thing is in field use.

If mine every gets shipped I'll post tons of action shots, until then... I wait.

I'm actually hoping it has the abilily to replace my D300s, as much as I love that body design it was almost a downgrade in IQ from the D90.

From the looks of it the d7000 is a better body then the d300s in almost every category. With it's all-metal build and non-cpu lens compatibility it's looking more and more like a d300 successor.

also a big one that I have been researching is the Loss less compressed option on the D7000. I want the best quality image possible to sell and the D300s gives that.

As the term implies, there's no loss of quality due to "lossless compression" (provided you use RAW of course -- jpegs are lossy by design on all cameras)

From the looks of it the d7000 is a better body then the d300s in almost every category. With it's all-metal build and non-cpu lens compatibility it's looking more and more like a d300 successor.

It's not all metal, the top and rear are. D300s still has (I believe) a faster focusing system, larger buffer, pro style body, higher FPS, 51 focus points (11 of which are cross type), and 4 user configurations in 2 categories to name some of the advantages over the D7000.

What about the d700, is there any talk or news on an updated version ? or any new fx format nikon coming out in the near future?

I'm still thinking the D300s replacement will be then new entry level full frame body after the release of the D7000, perhaps the D700s continuing with Nikon's '7' theme (D7000, P7000, SB-700).

It look like a nice camera.
I am shooting a d90 right now. I am shopping for another body right now and i cant afford a d700 so i am really considering getting a d7000 over a d300s. I dont do much sports or wilflife so the d7000 seems like a better option for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back