D3200 video camera lifeline

thefreethinker31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. I use my D3200 to shoot videos once a week, maybe amounting to 30 mins worth of footage with an average of 300 clips per shoot. With the long minutes of shooting, sometimes the camera body does heat up, but rest assured I take quick breaks (3-5 mins) in between shoots to cool down a bit. During a shoot, I switch on and off the live view all the time. Is there something that I have to be worried about? For some reason, I get worried that I shoot too much that may result to camera breakdown. Btw, I use the camera 80% of the time for video. Any experience you guys have with the lifeline of D3200 or DSLRs in general primarily for video use?

Thanks! :)

Heat is a noted killer of electronics.

Entry-level DSLRs aren't intended for primarily video use.
The full magnesium bodied camera bodies have have full magnesium bodies mainly for hear dissipation, and less so for electronics generated radio frequency interference.
The all plastic bodies of entry-level DSLR cameras have much less efficient heat dissipating properties.

Keith, In my view, it is neither the plastic body nor the fact that it is a DSLR. Overheating is a symptom of poor engineering and thermal management. 2009/2010 vintage plastic Panasonics (GH1/2) with the same space constraints don't overheat after hours of continuous video. Neither should plastic Nikons, Canons and Sonys - especially a 2012 model such as the D3200.

freethinker - that said, your camera should be fine, especially if you're stopping it before overheating shuts it down, and you're giving it cool-off time between shots.

Good luck and hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Most reactions

New Topics

Back