D700 vs D7000 for portrait photography

jphoto.md

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I've been researching for awhile, and this forum kept on popping up with some great info. Unfortunately, my exact question involves two new cameras, so I was unable to find an answer thus far...

My question: Which camera is better for portrait/modeling photography? I've read many reviews/forums, and I've believe that the only two categories the D700 wins at is its low-light capabilities and shallower DoF. I don't see low light being a major factor to me (lots of outdoor/natural light modeling shots), so the only advantage is the DoF. With this reasoning, the D7000 appears to be the best fit. Then again, I've never seen full frame DoF besides sample images. What do you all think?

Thanks~

D700. Not only because of the better controls, build quality, ISO performance and all the garb.

For example, if you pop a 85mm lens on the D7000 you'll need to punch a hole through the back wall of the studio to back up far enough to get the shot. Now, there's a loss of depth of field too backing up like that for your shots.

I went from a D7000 to a D700 and have been thrilled.

If you are shooting natural light modeling shots and don't think you need low light capability then you are not shooting at optimum times.
If you can get either get the d700, no question.

I'm seeing D700's on the uber-cheap. Highly recommend it for a budget full frame that shoots incredible pics.

Unless the D800 really wows me after its been in the field for a few months and reviews are in, I may purchase a new D700 and mine will be a back-up cam
bigthumb.gif

If I were you I would rent a D700 for the day, the extra texture and detailing, combiened with ease of use will make the decision for you, and now is the time to buy, everyone is letting them go to upgrade to the D800, yes the D800 is better but the D700 didn't become bad over night, it is still an awesome bit of kit

Thanks for the advice! I think I found a nice priced on a used D700 and will now begin my foray into the full frame world.

Thanks for the advice! I think I found a nice priced on a used D700 and will now begin my foray into the full frame world.

NICE! Aside from full frame you'll enjoy fast focusing, great build quality, and a host of other stuff I love about my D700 over the D7000 I had.

If u can find a d700 used for 1500-1800 than I would pick that up. I would rather pick up a better lens first and invest in a better camera later. The d700 no doubt has a better low light and better sensor but the d7000 is no slouch. I would be happy with either along as I invested in good lens. Some of the best portrait lenses however make more sense on a d700 like the 85 1.4 and 105dc, the 70-200 2.8 as well. I would again spend more on lighting gear and lenses over the sensor size. If ur budget allowes u to buy everything than d700 for sure. But that extra $1200(+)could mean a 85 1.4 or 2 flashes or a 105dc or sb-900 plus 50 1.4.I don't kn about others but I would rather have a d7000 with a 50 1.4 or 1.8 even with 2 sb700,s over a d700 and crappier lens.

depends on what your doing and your time frame. i love my D7000 but would have also loved the money to get me into full frame.

Most reactions

Back