D7000 Camera Raw help

Sublime1304

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.next-level-designs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok I've been struggling with this for a few weeks, I just can't figure it out. I use Lightroom and photoshop cs5 and id like to take my raw files into photoshop but it does not work. I've researched this topic, installed the DNG converter software and I'm running the latest iOS on my Mac but I still can't put my files in photoshop. What am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm missing? Any help is appreciated

Which Lightroom do you have? 1, 2, 3, or 4?

Photoshop CS 5 Camera Raw, or Lightroom's Develop Module are the only places you can work on Raw files. CS 5 Camera Raw and Lightroom 3's Develop Module are the same software - ACR 6 (Adobe Camera Raw).
CS 6 Camera Raw and Lightroom 4's Develop Module are ACR 7.
ACR 6 uses Process version 2010. ACR 7 was upgraded to Process Version 2012.

Photoshop CS 5 by itself cannot work on Raw files. They have to be converted to a file type Photoshop can work on - PSD, TIFF, JPEG, etc.

Photoshop CS5 should definitely be able to load your RAW files. A loaded RAW file opens up in ACR (which comes with Photoshop) in which you can do the RAW settings (white balance, exposure correction, lens corrections, etc. etc.) after which it opens up in Photoshop. The only thing Photoshop can't do (or any other program for that matter) is save to RAW, it'll have to save to a new file.

Also, CS5 shouldn't have a problem with D7000 RAW files, I've used this combination for a long time. I only upgraded to CS6 recently (got a great deal on it).
Make sure you've got ACR fully updated for Photoshop CS5, it could be that you're still working with an older version of ACR that can't handle D7000 RAW files.

How do I make sure it's updated correctly. I understand how to tell what version it is but how do I actually update it. I don't know if downloading the DNG converter off adobe was the correct thing to do

Open CS 5. Click on Help > Updates.

CS5HelpUpdates.jpg

Of course it worked! :lol:
You may only be using a tiny fraction of CS 5 and LR 3's features, functions, tools, and capabilities.

You need some good reference materials - Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC
Since CS 5 and LR 3 both use ACR 6 this book applies to both - Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5
The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back