How to Save JPG's From Camera Raw in Trial Photoshop Elements?

William Baroo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
People here helped me get the trial version of Photoshop Elements installed. I found the Camera Raa plugin and installed it. Today I edited a RAW photo, and now I want a JPG.

I saw a video saying to click on the three dots in the Camera Raw window to make a "Save As" command appear. I click on it, and I don't get this command.

I was able to save the file as a DNG, but that's all. I can't open the resulting file in Photoshop. It opens in Camera Raw.

So what am I doing wrong? Is Adobe preventing me from saving images until I buy the software or what?

Last edited:
It looks like you have to hit "Open as Copy," which puts it in the Photoshop Elements window. Then you can turn it into a JPG.

Whatever you do, don't save edited files over the original RAW file or you will lose the original capture. Always Save it as a new file, jpeg or whatever you decide.

This is the first time I've use software that requires you to use an "open" command to convert, export, or save.

I spend a lot of time going through the help stuff, and it was useless.

This is the first time I've use software that requires you to use an "open" command to convert, export, or save.

I spend a lot of time going through the help stuff, and it was useless.
You're working on the RAW image in Camera Raw and need to open it up into Elements to edit, save etc. I don't know about Camera Raw. Apparently, it's set up that way to allow edits only but must be converted to another app to handle other edits, promting, and saving. Maybe someone else can explain why it's that way?

Am I the only one who thinks the Photoshop Elements help file is not great? I managed to get two college degrees, so I feel like I should be able to find basic instructions if a manual is reasonably clear.

G'day William

Good Q with several suggestions above. As a user of PSE + camera RAW may I suggest:-

With PS-E open on the screen hit Ctrl+Alt + O (letter-O) and it will open camera RAW

Play the sliders, do whatever you wish then click OPEN
The image is then opened into PS-E for anything else you might wish to do ... eg: crop it

When you're finished click FILE > Save-AS > and the regular Save-As screen opens into JPG mode, choose your Quality option and away it goes nicely saved

BTW- Camera RAW works beautifully on JPG images too

Hope this helps
Phil

Thanks for the help. Now I have to get used to giant files!

G'day William

Good Q with several suggestions above. As a user of PSE + camera RAW may I suggest:-

With PS-E open on the screen hit Ctrl+Alt + O (letter-O) and it will open camera RAW

Play the sliders, do whatever you wish then click OPEN
The image is then opened into PS-E for anything else you might wish to do ... eg: crop it

When you're finished click FILE > Save-AS > and the regular Save-As screen opens into JPG mode, choose your Quality option and away it goes nicely saved

BTW- Camera RAW works beautifully on JPG images too

Hope this helps
Phil
G'Day Ozzie, What advantage do you find editing first with Camera Raw before going to the regular edits in Elements?

The raw files are huge.

G'Day Ozzie, What advantage do you find editing first with Camera Raw before going to the regular edits in Elements?
G'day Alan

Camera Raw allows all sorts of exposure / saturation type stuff to be easily modified, but it does not get into cloning or cropping or layers and so on. So it's these latter things (+ the Organiser) that I use PS-E for (although as I have said elsewhere, PS-E menu display arrangements are fast driving me away from the product)

Phil

As a backup, you might want to archive the raw files before you do anything else with them. If you're using one of the later versions of Windows, you can send them to a ZIP file (copy, don't move). I don't remember what the standard for Mac is.

I bought a four or five TB drive the other day by mistake and forgot to return it to Best Buy on time, so storage should not be a problem in the near future. Also, I haven't deleted my raw files from my card yet, so if anything is being damaged, it's on my PC.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back