d90 A mode question

kgb911

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK. As this is my 2nd post (first was in the intro section), cut me some slack if it is really stupid.

I just got a D90 w/ kit 18-105/f3.5. In Aperture mode, in some instances I can not set get it to go all the way to f3.5 on the 18-105. It will let me get close to 3.5 (like 3.8). After fiddling around it, holding shutter half way, turning off and on, or spinning to P or S then back to A, it will eventually let me go to the f3.5.

Am I missing something or is my camera not working correctly. Sometimes, it goes to f3.5 no problem.

Great forum and I glad I found it. Beware, you will have some pics coming for some C&C.

The lens you have isnt 3.5. It is 3.5-5.6. This means as the distance you zoom increases, the size of your aperture decreases. So, at 105mm, the largest aperture you could achieve is 5.6, lower number, the larger the aperture. Hope this helps.

Mark

That lens is does not have a constant aperture all the way through the zoom range. It's an f3.5 at the widest focal length, but at 105mm it will be at f5.6.

You were only getting f3.8 because you were in the middle somewhere, like at 40mm or something.

EDIT: Grr Mark! Beat me to it!

Yeah, I thought the same thing originally.

Thanks. I get it.

I thought putting it on A mode, I could adjust the whole aperture range regardless of the zoom.

No, thats why fixed aperture lenses, are much more expensive.

Ya you could if you had fixed aperture but no matter what mode you put the camera in it's still limited to the lens. Seems like you found your answer though. And enjoy that awesome camera!

Most reactions

Back