D90 relacement for a D80?

Texas Parrothead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am thinking of selling my D80 and buying a D90. I can get a used D90 for about $650 or a new D90 for $780.

My main interest in upgrading is improved low light capability.

My question is this:

Will I notice a significant difference from the D80 to the D90 in low light capability.....or should I wait until December and buy a D7000?

Or should I buy the D90 now and then sell it in December to help fund a D7000?

If I won't see much improvement in lowlight capability with the D90 I will just wait.

Last edited:
from a d80 to a d90. im not sure if its worth it but from a d80 to a d7000, just do it.

It was for me. As went from a D80 to a D90. As the D90 gives an additional 2 stops for lower light situations. An additional stop in dynamic range and more accurate consistent metering.

D90 - Tamron 17-50 f2.8 - 3200 iso and no post NR.

Heading Home by orb9220, on Flickr

And still was slightly underexposed and a tad bit of noise without post NR.
But most likely missed shot on the D80.

) High ISO on the D90 is a great improvement that allows me another stop for those lower-light handheld situations. Every little bit helps.
2) Dynamic Range - The D90 gives about 1EV of additional range.
3) 3" lcd display - For these old eyes I need all the help I can get. And blurry out of focus shots I can see without zooming to delete.
4) ISO displayed in viewfinder also can change ISO on the fly with the sub-command wheel.
5) Shutter Life - D90 is rated 2x the D80 at 100,000 clicks.
6) D-Lighting - Improvements there also.
7) 3D tracking - Lock on subject and during recomposing the AF Point will change to keep subject focused. Great for motion tracking?
8) Self-Cleaning - Still skeptical how well this feature works.And appears to actually clean dust off. So far looks helpful. And on my D80 required a wet clean every 4-6 weeks. Once in 9 months so far on the D90.
9) Info Button - Now can get quick Top Lcd readings on back LCD with built-in changing of D-lighting,High noise NR,Picture adjustment,Function button assignment,etc.
10) Picture preview - When reviewing picture tap up once and all picture settings and exposure info displayed with small histogram all laid out in nice easy format to read.
11) Frame rate - D90 gives 50% more at 4.5fps the D80 3fps.
12) Significant improvements in accurate Metering and AF speed.

Probably could find more. And yes many are of the little things.
But enough of the little things can add up to a better overall experience when getting the shot.

Cheapest I can find is 825 for the body. What site r u referring to keith? Thanks for the help.

Thanks ORB9220!

Great summary of improvements and you are making it real difficult for me to wait for the D90!

The $780 price i referenced for a new D90 was on ebay.They seller was an ebay store that had 10 for sale. They are all gone now.

I was just going to ask about that price. I just bought my D90 (body) for $849.99, was the best price I found from a reputable seller (I don't care for eBay).

Yes, it's worth it.

The D90 was the first consumer camera that Nikon released with a CMOS sensor, the D80, D70 and D60 all had CCD censors. This will give you better color representation and much better low light performance.

Then there's the 720p video.

Thanks to all for your advise.

I bought the D90 at Abe's of Maine in New Jersey on a business trip this week. Brand new USA model for $876 (after tax). I could have gotten it for $849 and had it delivered to me in Texas but I was impatient and wanted to play with it right away. besides the guy at the store dropped the price to $819 to help offset the tax cost.

I have to say i love this camera!!!!!

There is a significant improvement in my lowlight shooting capability. I couldn't be happier!

Now I just need to sell my D80 on eBay and then start saving again to move up into a D7000.

Thanks again to all!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back