damn shadows...

chris182

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I cant seem to not get shadows in my pictures when shooting indoors!! I am using my d90, sb-900 flash and anytime I use flash I get HORRIBLE shadows behind my subject. I have read up on it as it is a problem I just cant seem to grasp. Please point me in the right direction as to what I can do. (note-when bounce flash is not an option). Most of the time the locations are slightly dim and I am using a tamrom 28-75 2.8. Iv tried all different settings, with shutter,iso,aperature, etc and I just can not figure this out. Thanks for any advice you all may be able to help me with!!

You need to soften the shadowes, and that is done by making your light source seem really big, like as big around as a 45" photographic umbrella.

Place your subjects as far away from the walls (or whatever the shadow is casting on) as possible.

Why is bouncing not an option?
Also, what's up with taking it off camera?

I know it's a silly question to many, but quite foreign to others...... have you actually read your owner manuals?

Bounce the light off the ceiling, wall, white paper. Set your flash to maybe 1/8 or 1/16th the power. Like Kundalini said: Have you read the owners manual?

What do you suggest when there is no ceiling, wall, white paper?

His post mentions locations where bounce is not an option;
(note-when bounce flash is not an option).

Il try setting the speedlight to 1/16 and see what happens. Bounce is not an option really because most places I have issues at have very high ceilings and the shadows are sometimes on people behind my subject or a tree, etc. Places such as halls, wide open rooms, etc. Thanks for the suggestions, I will admit I have not read much in the flash manual and am not very good with flash photography, which is why I asked. Thanks for the suggestions.

A cheap, home made EVA foam bounce card should help.

I am with Dom. Get it off camera. I will hold my speedlight in one hand while shooting with the other. Getting shadows? move your light to compensate.

p!nK

Il try setting the speedlight to 1/16 and see what happens.....
If you turn the flash power down, you have to open the aperture more to get a good exposure, and you get the same exact shadow as you would at 1/8 power and a smaller aperture.

Flash bracket will get the flash up,away from the camera, so that the shadow falls down and behind the subject. One needs a TTL remote cord and a tall flash bracket to make this worthwhile. The little, small, short flash brackets are mostly toys...think about a TALL flash bracket, like a Stroboframe. Failing that, hold the flash in your left hand at full arm's-length extension, and aim it down a bit...PITA, but it works soooooooo much better now that the camera does the focusing!!!

The foam bounce card idea is the hot,new thing...there are many DIY videos on the web showing how to build a very good, efficient foam flash diffuser.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back