Dark edge negative using FD 70-210 f4 lens

Fojto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently acquired an old Canon FD 70-210 macro f4 to use on an FTb. I shot a test roll on some cheap rebranded all-purpose 400 film and processed it today at Walgreens. In several shots at the 70mm focal length mode there appears a dark band on the right side of the picture. Below is the most pronounced example of this problem shooting at 70mm in macro mode. Any ideas what caused it? Thanks!

4732239664_0dc161565c_b.jpg

Last edited:
More likely something wrong with the body rather than the lens (shutter for example). Do you know if the FTb is in good working order?

I agree with usayit, it looks like a shutter problem.

1. outdoor daytime shot * shallow DOF = wide aperture. ISO400 * wide aperture = high shuter speed. High shutter speeds on older cameras often show small inaccuracies in the curtain travel times in a big way with one curtain catching up with the other and creating this type of uneven exposure across the frame.

2. lens issues that produce darkening of a portion of the image would almost never produce a straight shadow line. They would almost always be curved.

The images shows a very straight line parallel to the edges of the shutter curtains on an FTb. It is extremely unlikely that the problem is anything other than a shutter problem. If you look carefully at the images where it happened and try to remember or calculate what shutter speeds were used you'll likely find that the problem occured on all shots at one of the top 2 speeds and is worse on those shot at 1/1000th.

That makes sense. I was either shooting at 1/500 or 1/1000. I just got the FTb as well and maybe I made mistake of assuming it was in good working order because I did not see these issues on the previous roll. I will have it CLAed.

Thanks to both of you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back