Dark Room problem

Clint Bolt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I started a darkroom recently and have this problem, the photos keep turning a dark blue. I think it may be from the Developer?! Any suggestions?

it's best that you post some more information, otherwise; it's all just a guessing game.

- name/type of paper
- type of storage of paper
- age of paper
- any drastic changes in temperature/humidity where paper is kept
- type of safe light (red or amber)
- developer type, ratio mix, and time in developer
- stop bath type
- fix type, ratio mix, and time in fix
- type of wash and length of time
- are you agitating the prints in each phase?
- when do they turn dark blue? immediately after the wash or some time after drying?

edit: how old are your chemicals and paper?

posting an actual scan of one of the images would greatly aid in troubleshooting.

My first two guesses here would be a light leak somewhere, though a consistent blue would be somewhat strange for this to be the case. 2nd, is the entire photo turning blue or is it just parts of it? I have seen large sections of photos turn blue from developer burn, which results from leaving the photos in the developer too long (how long are you leaving them in for)

If it's a light blue, and you're shooting older-style film (such as plus-x or fomapan), then a pre-wash is in order. But your problems sound a bit more serious. More info, as requested above, would be helpful.

Could be your filtration, if your new to developing colour you need to read some books on the subject, also dispense with any safelight, for color theyre not worth having and if its a B&W safelight its no good for colour work at all. H

1.Kodak Pro. Supra Endura
2.In the fridge at 50'F
3.Brand new
4. No changes in temp
5.No light
6.20-35 sec.
I think its 2 parts water, 1 part developer. the type is Kodak Ektacolor RA
7. No stop The Fix is also Kodak and about the same ratio
8. they turn blue when I turn on the light, you can make out the image but its all in a blue contrast. The image holds however. The Chems are New as well and I rinse the paper for a minute before strikin the light.

This is all color by the way, if you haven't found out by now(ektacolor/supra endura).

Could be a problem with temperature, which really has to be precisely within +/- 0.5 degrees C of the required temp. Double check your thermometer.

If your temps are spot on, and they need to be for color work, then I'd check your mixing the fix properly. Are you using a processor or in trays or tube? color work isn't easy to get right there are too many factors that cause problems, this one really sounds like a mix or contamination problem, (1 drop of fix into the dev will b****cks your chems) but could also be light related, have you stood in the darkroom for ten+ minutes with lights out to verify no light leakage, color needs complete darkness as the papers are really sensitive. H

ps. Colour fix also has a very limited life span and needs replenishing often, if your using open trays coming into contact with the air will deteriorate the chemicals quickly too.

All the photos are in different shades of blue contrast. I Dont have a temp thermometer, what temp should it be at? the fix doesnt/hasnt come in contact with the developer. I should double check the lighting, I dont have a light in the room, I just go by what I feel. I use trays for the holding of the Chems. I might have mixed the fix wrong though, I should just buy some new one. This color is getting to be alot harder than I thought. This is my first time doing color.

Its Berkey omega with a Dichroic filtration system.

Thanks alot for helping out guys!! I do appreciate it.

I Dont have a temp thermometer, what temp should it be at?

that, my friend, is your problem.

"...The most important thing about processing color is temperature control. If you cannot keep your chemistry within 1/4 of a degree of 100 degrees then don't bother. I know this sounds rediculous, but there is a reason. Color materials unlike black and white can have the color balance shift by even a tiny change in the developer temperature...."

source:

here

Most reactions

New Topics

Back