Dashboard and D3300

azreb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found one thread on the subject, but have some questions.

I read several reviews on the program and they seem to be all over the place. What luck have folks here had?

Apparently Nikon's WU-1a is required for the D3300. Reviews on it seem mediocre. Amazon apparently does not carry it any more. I found it elsewhere, though. Have any of you folks tried it? Are the reviews accurate?

I'd like to try my hand at HDR photography, but would prefer reliable hardware and software. Really don't want to look into a more expensive camera, at least for a while.

I'm not sure I understand the last part of your post and how it relates to your question. The WU-1a is a WiFi module and really has nothing to do with HDR.

I have no experience with it, but the D750 has WiFI built in; only had to download free software from Nikon to make it work. I've used it a couple of times and it really isn't something I need for my workflow.

I'm not sure I understand the last part of your post and how it relates to your question. The WU-1a is a WiFi module and really has nothing to do with HDR.

I have no experience with it, but the D750 has WiFI built in; only had to download free software from Nikon to make it work. I've used it a couple of times and it really isn't something I need for my workflow.

Getting the camera synced with your phone every time you want to use it is tedious and takes longer then anything :soapbox:

I guess. I don't send to my phone - i just wait until I'm near the computer and either plug in the cable or pop the card. Again, since I'm not a pro, constant synchronization is not a priority for me.

Guess I wasn't clear. The WiFi interface is one way to control the camera with Dashboard, allowing one to adjust the EV on successive shots. I haven't found another way to do that with the D3300.

If you are working near a computer, you could try to shoot tethered through the USB. Lightroom (at least the current version) will handle the exposure settings. I also have a program called "Control My Nikon" (free trial available) which will control the exposure settings plus it will provide Live View on the computer screen, as long as the camera has Live View as a feature.

That is an option. The only way I could do that would be to take a laptop with me. I think using a smartphone would be simpler, tho I will have to learn some more to go that way.

WU-1a and WU-1b is a joke and Nikon should be ashamed of themselves for ever releasing it to the wild.

absolutely terrible experience to use -- if your phone can even connect that day.

the app is worse and im pretty sure it was developed by a three year old.

I never tried the DSLR Dashboard app, but good luck.

Thanx. The reviews I saw made the WU-1s sound questionable.

Went out to the back yard yesterday, set up the tripod and shot a couple pix in the shutter priority mode and tweaked the shutter speed between shots without a remote. Downloaded the pix into the computer and ran them through Dashboard and found the results quite satisfactory. Looks like it can be done without the WiFi interface. Gonna try it that way for a while.

Most reactions

Back