Dazed and Confused, Did it all wrong

Yes. Breathe. Post some pictures. Ask some questions. Once you've been bitten by the bug it doesn't go away so easily so just relax and go with it.

I understand what you are saying. There are two pieces of advice given that I firmly agree to. One; read some inspiring books on photography or about photographers and Two; Create a reason to take the camera (I know professionals that use the Ti3) out of the bag and use it. Also, there are two extremes to avoid; One; becoming equipment obsessed. This is a common and (to some) enjoyable hobby but it is NOT photography and Two; it is only the photographer and has nothing to do with the equipment. There is a lot of truth in that but it is not an absolute either. Imagine someone winning the Indy 500 with a Honda Civic. (wrong cheap tool) Or someone racing the sands of Baha with a Maserati (wrong expensive tool). No one cares about what brand or type of paint or brush DaVinchi used to paint the Mona Lisa. But then we know he didn't use his fingers ;)

Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe I should clarify myself somewhat. My goal is to be a good amatuer/hobbiest photographer and be able to shoot the memories and beauty I find in life. I think I have been trying to learn too much mentally without putting anything into practice. Also reading a book about photography, then the camera manual, then a Photoshop book and all along I guess maybe somewhere in my mind I figured it would just all clik.(unintended pun). The books should be tools to use in conjunction with the actual doing. I am motivated to learn and produce the best pictures I can. I'm going to put everything else away for now and read the manual again with the camera in my hand and then go out and shoot pictures tomorrow.
I don't want to hog eveyones time but I would like to start over with a real question or two. First is there a good shooting place to start? What I mean is besides full auto mode is there a good mode to work with first in order to build for the next step in hopes to eventually be able to get what I want from full manual shooting. Some sort of logical progression. I do so thank everyone for they're help and time.

worlddrifter said:
Any help (however harsh) is welcome.
Mike

Okay Mike....it time to "get your chit together man!":lol: No, but seriously speaking, you have the tools to make and process photos. Camera's in the bag? Outta' sight, outta' mind. Don't put it away in a bag,but instead leave it out, where you can see it, pick it up, practice with it, get a feel for it.

Wait, what?!?

What if he has a toddler around. . .

Take a few shots you think are good and post them. You'll get at least one idiot that uses a c&c forum as an excuse to be a jerk, but also get some good advice. Also, if you read other cc posts, you'll start to see what is wrong with a shot pretty quickly.

Think maybe I got so excited about all the aspects of photography that I went somewhat nuts. I bought a nice camera(canon T3i and a couple of lenses) not the best by far but thought good for learning. Then decided maybe I needed Photoshop to make it all perfect. After confusing the hell out of myself I realized I probably needed alot better computer to run the programs. Also I decided that a medium Wacom Intuos4 tablet would make everything simpler. Next I purchased and read many books on photography and post production along with internet articles and the very informative threads in this forum. All this equipment is cool and fun and in general USELESS at this point. My camera has been in the bag more than out. I have deleted most of the shoots I have taken. I have travelled alot and have tons of "snapshots" that served the purpose at the time. I plan to move to my sail boat in a year or so and need to be able to capture the images I want. I know knowledge comes with practice and time but I have read and studied myself into an angxiety. Any help (however harsh) is welcome.
Mike

Be patient, not taking out your camera is NOT going to help you get better. I can completely understand the confused part. I learned by taking the camera off of AUTO mode and simply taking many, many shots while I played with the settings. Photoshop and similar software will NEVER help you understand how to capture the image YOU want. Don't knock yourself, photography is not a black and white affair where there is a set way to do anything, rather it all is subjective to interpretations.

Like a car accident, ask 4 people to take a picture of the same exact apple, and chances are you will see 4 different images emerge. Your frustration is only part of not understanding how to do what you want to do with the tools everyone else seem to use easily. It's never easy, remember this: Your eye captures the image, the camera just interprets it. Keep plugging away at it and you will see progress.

I'm a noob also (bought my first dslr last February). A couple of photography friends told me to put it in manual and read about the exposure triangle, then play. I read my manual and the Scott Kelby beginner books (parts 1 and 2 so far), which helped a LOT and then checked out a couple of "31 days to better photos" blogs which have also helped me a lot. They make the learning process less intimidating and more inviting. Enjoy!

After full auto the next logical step would be Program mode. This opens up white balance, ISO and flash (if built in) to your control. I would experiment on adjusting each indoors and outdoors. For me next would be Aperture priority (A or Av) to learn depth of field and how aperture effects light and what shutter speed the camera selects. Then shutter priority (S or Tv). After you have a feel for what all can be tweeked I would then try manual. After the modes you can then experiment with focus and metering, angles, etc. Do this at your own interest level and speed for personal discovery. Time to form some of your own opinions and observations!

Wait, what?!?

What if he has a toddler around. . .

*sigh*
Toddlers are ~3ft tall. I have a feeling that there is a piece of furniture at your house that's significantly taller than that. Put the camera on top of it but make sure it's in plain view so you see it every time you pass by.

Next problem!

Most reactions

Back