What's new

DC Cherry Blossom Festival C&C

snowbear123 55

Fuzzy wuzzy Nanuq
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
23,950
Reaction score
16,271
Location
Somewhere in Maine
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I figure it's about time I posted a photo for critique. I took this a few weeks ago at the Tidal Basin in DC. I removed a lot of dust spots and removed a boat canopy, but feel I lightened it too much.

Thanks.


 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #3
Thank you, Frequency.
 
I love the composition, Charlie. Out for a casual stroll and enjoying the weather.

You didn't really get it too light, the contrast is just soft. Look at the histogram of your shot and you'll see that both ends of the data die out before they reach the edges of the histogram. Thus, there is no true black and no true white which gives it a hazy, soft appearance. Sometimes that is desired to prevent a harsh appearance but I think this one looks a bit better with more contrast on the subject. Please, feel free to disagree since it is your shot ;)

I also rotated it about 3/4 degree left to straighten the horizon a little bit, and lightened her face a bit since it got dark when I adjusted the histogram.

snowbear01.jpg
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #5
Thanks. To me, she really symbolized the day and the event. Luckily, she just ignored me and kept on walking.

No problem on the edits, I appreciate help & critiques - we can't learn, otherwise.
 
I really like Scott's edit, although I'd desaturate his image a bit -- I kinda liked the pastel-colour feel of the original.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #7
Thanks. I like both, actually.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom