Deciding Which Camera to Upgrade To

s1mon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I want to get a new camera and my budget is about $400 for just the body. I was going to get a rebel 300d with an 18-55mm canon kit lense but then I saw that the 10d was so much better than it for a little bit higher price. So is the 10d a good semi-beginner camera for someone familiar with photography but still kinda learning the basics? Are there any other older DSLRs for about the same price? Thanks

Can you bump your budget 49 dollars to get the rebel xt/350d? B&H has it for 449 brand new! :thumbup: You won't be disappointed

Is it really that much better? I can get a 10d with all the stuff needed except for lense for about $330 and then get a lense for about $50(kit lense?). With the 350 I would need to buy batteries, a charger, and a lense. I can splurge and spend the extra money if it is REALLY that much better than the 10d. I also like the little thumb wheel on the Canon 10d as opposed to the cheapy plastic buttons on the rebel. The 10d also has a metal frame which is more sturdy while the rebel is plastic( and i heard cheap).

A 10D would be a good idea. I saw one today next to a 20D, a 30D, and my XT and it was the size of the 30D if not a little larger. Looks nice and big, great controls, and heavy duty construction. Just try to get one that has been used LIGHTLY, but don't forget a memory card to add to your price (a 2Gig card or 2 1 gig cars would be great).

I can't speak of the 10,20 or 30D cameras you're talking about, however, if I can add my .02 cents worth in, on your initial purchase, you might want to budget in an extra battery(ies) with charger (is it not part of the package?), and memory card(s) and those little odds and sodds. How about a camera bag?...filters?...cleaning kit?...tripod?...shutter release?...external flash... Oh, the list can go on and on.

Certainly don't mean to scare you off dear, but get your first kit and be happy, 'cause you're on your way. Then you can start to spread your wings.

I haven't used the 10D. However, I can say that I used the heck out of my XT, and though plastic, it's still super tough. I took it everywhere with me, and I have blown up many 20x30 prints, and the image quality is super.

$330 does sound like a good deal for a 10D w/ accessories though.

Is it really that much better? I can get a 10d with all the stuff needed except for lense for about $330 and then get a lense for about $50(kit lense?). With the 350 I would need to buy batteries, a charger, and a lense. I can splurge and spend the extra money if it is REALLY that much better than the 10d. I also like the little thumb wheel on the Canon 10d as opposed to the cheapy plastic buttons on the rebel. The 10d also has a metal frame which is more sturdy while the rebel is plastic( and i heard cheap).

the camera comes with a battery, and a charger. You can get a 50mm lens for 75 bucks....

The XT is not cheap plastic by any means. I have a Canon 70-20mm L lens that is decently heavy and the XT has done no complaining...plastic is stonger than you think.

Yea, I have a 1 gig CF card with it, and they all come with batteries and chargers. Most people dont include the USB cable in the auctions. Whats with that? I have a card reader, do I really need the cable? Do you guys use them? Oh, and Sideburns, were you a member on OCN?

Most reactions

Back