Dedicated Macro vs variable zoom lens with macro capability?

zaroba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I got my Canon T3i it came with a 18-55mm lens that has macro ability, I can get as close as a few inches from a subject for taking close ups of flowers etc and I have a Tamron 75-300mm that offers Macro ability, closest zoom being just over 3ft away. I also have macro extension tubes and screw on macro filters, along with a 2x teleconvertor for Tamron lenses.

I've found the Tamron isn't as good as the kit lens for taking close up stuff, but how well would a dedicated macro compare to these?
I mean, I'm sure it would be better in general, but would the quality difference warrant the purchase cost?

I've been looking at this Tamron 90mm 1:1 macro lens.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Dedicated macro is almost always better for actual macro stuff.

The Tamron 90mm you linked is a well known good example.

BUT

Remember, there is more involved to get good quality. In macro, lighting is often as important as the macro lens chosen.

Came across that article a few days ago when doing research on using microscope optics on dslr's (something else I'm interested in, but one step at a time, lol)

A true macro lens will have considerably better image quality and a true macro lens generally offers 1:1 scale macro. Zoom lenses with a macro range are usually only 1:3 or 1:4 macro scale. Canon makes one very special dedicated macro lens called the MP-E 65mm. That lens can ONLY do macro work, but it's capable of zooming from 5:1 macro down to 1:1 macro (5x life size down to just 1x life size) but it cannot be used for normal photography like other macro lenses (but other macro lenses can't get as close or large.)

Canon makes a 50mm "compact macro" which isn't a true 1:1 scale macro... it's a 1/2 scale (1:2) and you have to buy an adapter to convert it to 1:1 scale. By the time you do that, it costs more than the 60mm macro (and it's not nearly as good as the 60mm macro.)

That EF-S 60mm macro is the best EF-S lens they make... it's stunningly sharp.

They also make a couple of 100mm macros as well as the 180mm macro (not cheap). Being farther from a macro subject helps with lighting and also helps if the subject happens to be something that can be scared away if you get too close.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back