Deer path and fishing gear.

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just another attempt at turn-of-the-last-century photography. As I explained to a friend; it's not hard to do, it's just easy to mess up. :)

So with a backpack full of gear and with tripod in hand, it was off to the woods, to discover an ever so faint, deer path. Fortunately there was a footprint or two.

Deer Path.JPG

Then a couple of days with sunshine and temperatures in the 60's and I could sense the start of fly fishing fever.

Just add water 2.JPG

1909 Seneca View camera.
4x5 format
163mm 1950's vintage Wollensak lens.
Dejur light meter.

Ron, your first shot is great. It actually reminds me of a deck of tarot cards I have tucked away. It has a mysterious quality to it, and very vivid.

These pictures are shot is with panchromatic film. However the woods image looks otho because the trees are grey and the leaves are brown and the sky has a heavy cloud overcast. There is no red to darken the scene.

There is very little post processing, on these photos, however I did have to do some adjustments.
* For some reason the the 165mm lens I used is very susceptible to lens flares, so I used a long homemade lens hood. It started to vignette the edges of the scene so I added a touch of vignetting around the entire photos.
* When I used my digital camera to digitize the negative, the mono setting produced a bluish tint to the black and white conversion. By adjusting the white balance I was able to eliminate the blue tint with just a touch of sepia.
* I decided to add a border just for an old timey look.

Since do not do much post processing, those few steps above took a lot of head scratching and "what ifs", but it was easier that commandeering the bathroom and setting up my enlarger or contact printing the negatives; which I would still have to digitize to upload to the forum.

#1 is the bomb. Truly striking...thinking Walden Pond. Superb!

For fun, try to grab the still-free Nik plug-ins. The Silver Efex plug-in is very versatile. Lots of online tutorials, too. Well worth a look whenever it suits. Cheers

Nice shots. #1 for me.

Very neat shots. I think I have to go with number one as well.

Most reactions

Back