Denver Night Photos Part II

nntruong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This time shot with a tripod. lol BUT I found out that my lens/sensor is dirty and I can't clean it off at all. Especially at night I can't see anything besides what's shown in photo. Your can definitely see some of those smudges shown in the images below.

I need more pointers! please. I know some of the focus on these shots aren't perfect. I'm still working on it. Some of the shots I have to drop the f stop down to f4 which could make the dof worse. I tried shooting at f22 but I don't have a shutter release to do it in bulb mode with my camera.

So let me know what you guys think?

I like the lines in this one. I'm not sure if I quite like the exposure.

DSC_4686.jpg

The horizon is a little skewed in this one. I was in a hurry to take the pic because people were walking by and it shakes the bridge during long exposures lol.

DSC_4678.jpg

I though this one is quite decent even with a little smudge in the sky.

DSC_4634.jpg

I missed this thread! lol!

Big improvement with the tripod! Depending on your shot, you may need to shoot at your sharpest aperture.. probably F8 to F11 as the distance is such that you can focus on your hyperfocal distance. You can figure out what that is here : Online Depth of Field Calculator . Stopping down to F22 (or deeper) can cause diffraction which will actually soften the shots.

What body do you shoot? What lenses do you have?

If you have any questions.. ask!

Take a shot of the blue sky at around f22... and you should be able to see any smudges, oil, dust, whatever on your sensor or lens. Sensor cleaning is not hard, just have to be very careful... and you might want to have a shop do it if you aren't comfortable.

First thing to do is the built in sensor clean if you body has one.

After that .. if it doesn't fix the problem... set your mirror to pop up.. and gently blow on the sensor with something like a Giottos Rocket Air Blaster ( do not use canned air). See if that fixes it....

past that... either Google sensor cleaning and do what they say very carefully, or take it into a reputable camera shop to have them clean it (or the MFG.. but you will be without it for several weeks or months). There are some sensor cleaning kits available also... but be careful.

Last edited:
hello fellow denverite... what lens are you using specifically. and those lights in te sky are form the bright lights at the bottom of te pic kinda like a solar form the sun. my guess an i dont know for sure is a cheap kit lens?

cgipson1: Lol yeah this forum moves so quickly. I've tried shooting at f8-f11 because i'd figure it would be the sharpest for me as well but it was still a little dark. I thought of increasing my iso but I was worried about the noise. Yeah I have a DOF calculator app on my phone :).

I have a D7000 with kit lens 18-105mm and 35mm f1.8g so far.

yes, I've tried the the sensor cleaning function from the camera. But i have not test it to see if it's good yet. I also wiped down the lens and it looks squeaky clean so I'll go test it out in a bit see if it's the lens or the sensor.

Pixilstudio: lol awesome another from denver! The first two shots are taken with my kit lens and the third shot is taken with my 35mm. I thought the spots in the sky we're from the reflections of the lights down below too but then when i look closely at my other shots in different locations, they have the same spots in the same location in the sky.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back