Depth of field

Jim C.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using a Nikon kit lens of 18 to 55. I think it is a good lens it takes sharp pictures but at F-3.5 to 5.6 it is slow and range is limited. I like to shoot aperture priority. The limited range and high number f stop all shots have a deep depth of field. I don't want to buy a fast lens at Nikon prices. But I like to soften my backgrounds more than this lens allows.
In my film days I shot a Minolta with a 58mm F1.2 lens. I could see in a coal mine and had a f stop range that was incredible .
Is there some trick I can use to soften the backgrounds with out springing for a expensive fast lens. BTW another lens may just be the way to go because I miss having a true macro. The close up is ok but a true macro is a joy to use

Get the 55-200, and shoot at longer focal lengths. You'll need more real estate between you and the subject, that that'll do the trick.

If you want a macro lens to boot, try the 105/2.8.

Background blur, which is different but related to DOF, increases with longer focal length, shorter camera to subject distance, and longer subject to background distance.

To get the most background blur from your 18-55, shoot it at 55mm, f/5.6 with the camera as close to the subject as possible and the background as far from the subject as possible. That is the maximum background blur you can get with your lens. If you want more background blur, yes, you'll be looking at new lenses.

Speaking purely about getting blurred backgrounds, I think getting a longer lens would be more effective than getting a faster lens.

The great 105mm f/2.8 mentioned above would certainly make it easier to blur the background and get you shooting macro again as well, but make sure you're getting everything you can out of your current lens by using camera-to-subject, and subject-to-background distance.

Background blur, which is different but related to DOF, increases with longer focal length, shorter camera to subject distance, and longer subject to background distance.

To get the most background blur from your 18-55, shoot it at 55mm, f/5.6 with the camera as close to the subject as possible and the background as far from the subject as possible. That is the maximum background blur you can get with your lens. If you want more background blur, yes, you'll be looking at new lenses.

Speaking purely about getting blurred backgrounds, I think getting a longer lens would be more effective than getting a faster lens.

The great 105mm f/2.8 mentioned above would certainly make it easier to blur the background and get you shooting macro again as well, but make sure you're getting everything you can out of your current lens by using camera-to-subject, and subject-to-background distance.
I do have the 55 to 200 Nikkor

I think it is a common misconception that one must shoot at f/1.8 or another very wide aperture in order to blur the background.

Is there some trick I can use to soften the backgrounds with out springing for a expensive fast lens.
The simplest way is to increase the distance from your subject to the background.

BTW another lens may just be the way to go because I miss having a true macro. The close up is ok but a true macro is a joy to use
I don't know what you mean by "Nikon prices". Does that intimate that you might purchase a third-party lens? If so, I recommend that you take your time and save up more money for a Nikkor lens. For instance; if you want an all-round lens that does macro (and reproduction, and portraiture on an APS-C camera) you could purchase a

Nikon AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED Macro

nikon 60mm 2.8 micro | eBay

It is not the fastest, but it will do a lot.

If you're interested in a wider aperture, then look for a Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G.

There are many other Nikon lenses for macro and wide aperture, but when brand new, they can be fairly expensive. Get used lenses to save money.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back