Desert Triptych

Mandra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
This is my first request for c&c, so be gentle! Kidding... If you dislike it, let me know. All feedback, good and bad, is eagerly accepted as that's the only way I can learn!

This is a triptych representing desert plants in a macro format. I wasn't fond of them in color, but I feel like they really pop in black and white. The first photo has an alternate crop - I can't decide which one fits the series best. Opinions?

Thoughts/suggestions on the triptych? Does it work? Is it interesting? :D
Thanks in advance!

Photo 1 (crop option 1)
desert1.jpg

(D70s with Tamron 70-300, 1/250 s @ f/8, 138mm focal length)

Photo 1 (crop option 2)
desert1a.jpg

D70s with Tamron 70-300, 1/250 s @ f/8, 138mm focal length)

Photo 2
desert3.jpg

(D70s with Tamron 70-300, 1/250 s @ f/4.8, 185mm focal length)

Photo 3
desert2.jpg

(D70s with Tamron 70-300, 1/1000 s @ f/4.8, 185mm focal length)

Anyone? No comments, suggestions, critiques?

Saw your very excellent comments at someone's thread and thought I'd see what you were posting.

All of these show you've a superb eye for composition, tone, texture.

Very, very nice.

Each stands well on its own merits.

Thanks so much for the compliments! I was beginning to wonder if these sucked or if they were better suited for the macro forum.

Saw your very excellent comments
Whew! <wiping sweat off brow> As an amateur, I always wonder if I make sense in comments or if I'm using correct terms.

All of these show you've a superb eye for composition, tone, texture. Each stands well on its own merits.
Again, thanks! Composition is something I feel I struggle with so that means a lot.

^ Agreeing with above , more please ;)
No problem. We're headed out to the Strip (Las Vegas you know) so maybe I'll find something cool.

Does anyone have a preference on an option for photo 1? I'd really like to display these as a triptych, so I'll have to make a decision...
Many thanks!

I like those. I think they are very nice as individual images but I don't see the triptych. The third photo is too different for me. But who knows, maybe that is what would make it work if used in the middle.

It a little hard to tell looking at them on top of each other instead of side by side.

Crop option 2 doesn't do as much for me but it's probably because I saw a very nice and similar image recently. It was in color and when I look at yours I miss the colors :lol:

Thanks for the review - I appreciate it!

While each stands well on its own, only the first two seem related enough to be combined. Perhaps you'll have the opportunity to shoot more, related to either the first couple or the third and fourth. Then you'll have enough coherence for the triptych.

Sometimes we just have to be patient? (not one of my strong suits :) )

Thanks again for the comments re: the triptych concept. I was thinking they worked because they were all shot in the same spot and in my head, they have a good connection because of that. Obviously you're all not in my head. :lol:

I would agree somehing a little more spiny would fit a triptych better. Maybe I'll tag these as a start of a 5-6 plant, macro b&w collection. Then I can fill in with some other photos that might link the spiny and smooth, giving it more of a cohesive feel. It's just so darn hot out right now, I may have to back-shelf it until the fall.

Thanks for the comments and input again! It's been really useful.

Most reactions

Back