Details of the inside of a mediaevel church

john.margetts

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These pictures were taken inside the mediaeval church in Blythburgh in Suffolk. They are details of the carved bench ends, each of which has a moral to tell.

They were difficult to photograph as the windows were behind them and there was a deal of sunlight streaming in the windows - the figures were very much in silhouette, not helped by the very dark nature of the wood used (probably oak, given the age of the carvings). This means that the background is massively over-exposed but I haven't allowed that to bother me.

SUkGkgquuzWAo2_fSziysCbFFF0nzkSRVw2nMgxziA-Dssl7w_LYKOa-Ockfhdizk4gQ=w1280-h1024-rw-no
HQLmzDErvDaOVfqVvxOqv8cZSY-BkJoT33WLTOVV4MT4DDmk0KkxHl1Wr6FvbhmjKw4b=w1280-h1024-rw-no
EAHgGYPzat9zwjCDURwgPYzVP2r9Mv_ATU8TikvEV8aDrdErJaI99cNg9AYSn6xBk04r=w1280-h1024-rw-no
jmLSULVmWPVUF8sM1cUPtRKx1xWJLyRkHv2xGliKZst0dCBozkT9ra69d4vTsys8jn1i=w1280-h1024-rw-no

I cannot see the pictures I uploaded for my post. Have I done something wrong?

i can. Do you have more? Interesting subject

Answered it myself. pictures visible when the forum is viewed on Google Chrome but not on Firefox. Is this normal?

Interesting subjects. I wonder what the photos would have looked like if you had shot from the other side with the light from the windows spilling on them.

Those are neat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Interesting subjects. I wonder what the photos would have looked like if you had shot from the other side with the light from the windows spilling on them.
Even with the sunlight spilling in, it was dark enough to need a tripod and I couldn't use one on the other side while being respectful of the church fabric.

I don't think I've been in that church even though its only a stones-throw away from me.

This is a perfect situation where HDR would have been a very powerful tool. A selection of exposures to cover all the different brightnesses and then combining them in editing to get the desired result. It can really bring out the details in the shadows; whilst also retaining the shadows if you like; and it takes that harsh edge of things that actually makes it more like the human eye renders it than how the camera renders it (because we don't see it all at once; but resample a lot with our eyes changing the exposure so we get a more "clear" view of the whole)

I frequently use HDR for general shots of the interior - old churches have a rather large dynamic range - but for these I was just concentrating on the carvings and basically ignored the background.

I cannot see the pictures I uploaded for my post. Have I done something wrong?

Firefox doesn't recognize them as jpeg format, which could be the cause of the issue. When I try to open Image 1 it has a 'webp' extension...
They were JPEGs when I uploaded them.

Next guess, was there a full stop in the file names?
webp is not familiar as an extension but it could be something the first 4 letters of webpage subsequently truncated & treated as an extension...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back